At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
About the Role
The Uber Technical Program Management (TPM) team plays a critical role executing high-impact company-wide initiatives and continuously improving process to increase the effectiveness of our product and engineering organizations. We work with the engineering organization while partnering with Product, Platform, Data Science, Operations, and others across Uber to drive programs and initiatives to be successful.
The Rides Engineering (RE) organization powers Uber's core ride sharing platform, including Rideshare, Bikes & Scooters, Uber for Business, and Vehicles. The TPM team in San Francisco plays a critical role in delivering the cross-functional RE engineering initiatives that improve the Uber experience for millions of drivers, riders, and eaters.
We're looking for a strong TPM manager to lead this team within the broader Uber Technical Program Management (TPM) team.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
TPMs move fluidly from the big picture to details so that the team can deliver complex and strategic cross-functional projects, often with tight deadlines. You are a bridge and a connector for the company, thrive in a dynamic work environment, and are able to juggle and prioritize multiple projects with ease. You are intuitive, focused, driven, organized, insightful and productive. You break through communication issues and effectively develop relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the organization. You build trust across the organization. You are not afraid to be direct, but you strive to act with empathy and integrity.
What You'll Do
* Lead and manage a team of TPMs working across multiple product and engineering initiatives under the Business Intelligence organizations
* Project manage complex and large scale cross-team, cross-functional initiatives. Interface with engineering managers and engineers to estimate work efforts, define milestones and manage resources. Track progress, resolve dependencies, evaluate risks and communicate status to upper management and project stakeholders.
* Proactively remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress. Identify communication gaps, manage issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing competing priorities. Drive results proactively.
* Understand technical implementation at the architecture level and propose technical alternatives when necessary. Ask questions that clarify priorities and push the team to be highly effective. Develop broad domain and technical knowledge.
* Help manage the cross-functional strategic planning and business planning process, leading conversations with key stakeholders to develop concepts for strategic initiatives, and developing those into detailed program / project plans (including roadmaps, funding planning, resource planning and hiring goals).
What You'll Need
* Minimum of 7 years experience as a Technical Program Manager
* Minimum of 3 years experience leading and managing teams of TPMs and PgMs
* Solid technical aptitude and an ability to understand technical designs, challenges and risks. Engineers enjoy working closely with you and you with Engineers
* Experienced in project management. Familiar with both Agile and Waterfall methodologies and able to apply them where best suited
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills and exceptional emotional intelligence. Ability to influence and motivate people across a broad variety of job functions through your relationships
* Strong organizational skills to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously, without losing sight of highest priority items
* Strong technical, analytical and quantitative skills with the ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations and drive decisions
* Ability to understand complex concepts and make reasoned decisions objectively
Uber is a provider of a mobile application connecting passengers with drivers for hire.