Cengage Learning Emea
Do you dare to reinvent the future of education?
At Cengage, we are harnessing the power of tech to build a future where all learners have the tools and confidence to achieve their goals.
As a Cengage employee, you will blaze a new trail to transform the way people learn. Collaborating with the best of the best, you will feel challenged and inspired to do breakthrough work. With the support of our united team, there is no limit to what you can imagine, create and set in motion.
Are we right for you?
We set the bar higher by bringing our unique talents and point of view to the table every day. We are curious and comfortable with change and are willing to take risks to transform education. Most importantly, with everything we do, we put learning first.
What You'll Do Here:
The Software Engineering Manager position will report to the Director of Engineering and will be responsible for managing a distributed agile development team. A background in full-stack software development experience with Java/J2EE is preferable.
What you'll do:
* Technically leading engineering team to deliver quality and value against aggressive deadlines
* Lead a strong and engaged team focused on delivering quality products
* Work with the Technical Product Manager, Analyst, and Application Architect to clearly define and frame priorities and commitments for the engineering team.
* Manage a distributed development team to deliver on engineering commitments, as well as the reasoning behind the team's priorities - not just what needs to be done, but why we need to do it
* Clearly define and communicate work responsibilities to each team member
* Collaborate with other leaders in the organization to ensure we have proper on-boarding of new team members
* Partner with other departments to standardize development, testing and release processes to ensure quality products are delivered on time
* Observe and communicate team metrics to ensure team is well-functioning, creating action plans as needed
* Interact with subordinate supervisors, customers, and/or functional peer group managers, normally involving matters between functional areas, other company divisions or units, or customers and the company. Often must lead a cooperative effort among members of a project team
* Manage the coordination of the activities of a section or department with accountability for results, including costs, methods and staffing
Skills You Will Need Here:
* 5-7 years of software development experience within Full- Stack (Java)
* Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) experience is preferred
* Minimum of 2+ years of team management / development lead
* Experience in managing distributed teams, including offshore resources, is preferred,
* Bachelors of Science in Computer Science, Engineering or quantitative field
About Cengage Learning Emea
Cengage Learning is a company providing higher education textbooks, ebooks, and digital solutions.