Job Summary and Mission
This position contributes to Starbucks success by managing a portion of the Customer Technology program portfolio and leading high performing teams. As a manager of the Customer Technology program portfolio you will lead program management efforts that range from basic platform enhancements to enterprise product implementations. This role operates at both a strategic and a tactical level and requires a close partnership with technology and business stakeholders, collaboration on strategic and tactical program planning, project planning and execution, and project delivery. This management-level position also requires strong capability in building effective program management teams as well as the ability to improve the business of IT by streamlining processes and innovating on program management industry best practices.
Models and acts in accordance with Starbucks guiding principles.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
Leadership - Setting goals for the work group, developing organizational capability, and modeling how we work together.
* Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the immediate team of direct reports promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
* Supports the implementation of company programs to ensure the success of the Company.
* Leads by example - with confidence, a positive attitude, patience, honesty and integrity, and a strong sense of commitment.
* Well-developed ability to 'read the room', to know what is possible and what is not, and to know how to navigate both strategic and tactical engagements efficiently and effectively.
* Ability to engage in difficult conversations that result in positive, actionable outcomes.
* Ability to navigate complex and diverse landscapes effectively.
* Seeks and provides honest, transparent feedback.
* Ability to build and lead high-performing project teams.
* Ability to set expectations and hold individuals and teams accountable to their commitments.
* Drives decision-making that favors compromise and alignment over consensus-building.
* Masterful facilitation skills; ability to adapt approach to different types of engagements.
* Good written and verbal communication.
Planning and Execution - Developing strategic and operational plans for the work group, managing execution, and measuring results:
* Prepares, communicates and educates client groups and team on changes in policies and practices within the organization
* Plans and manages business unit and department processes and practices to ensure that programs are aligned with company business goals and objectives.
* Collaborates with IT and business leadership on annual strategic planning for the IT program portfolio.
* Develops and maintains a program portfolio roadmap that illustrates in-flight and planned projects and highlights known project dependencies and synergies within and across programs.
* Teams with stakeholders on project ideation and assists in the creation of business cases and return on investment assessments.
* Drives high-level cost estimation for projects in the program portfolio.
* Leads the annual operating plan and quarterly reforecasting efforts for the program portfolio.
* Oversees tactical planning and day-to-day management of the program portfolio, including portfolio financials, prioritization, and assignment of project managers and scrum masters.
* Maintains a deep level understanding of projects within the program portfolio and their cross-program dependencies and synergies.
* Understands the project portfolios in the EMEA, China/Asia-Pacific, and Latin American regions, and aligns with key stakeholders to manage shared resources, identify project dependencies, and leverage project synergies.
* Creates project proposals for IT leadership consideration.
* Shepherds selected projects through approval and funding milestones.
* Proactively engages with the IT Audit team on all audit activities for projects in the program portfolio and reviews and approves all project audit plans.
* Reviews and approves key project management deliverables for projects within the program portfolio and related or dependent projects in other portfolios.
* Regularly participates in key project meetings.
* Advises project teams, and mentors/coaches team members.
* Builds a high performing program portfolio team by making good hiring decisions, setting clear individual and team expectations, holding team members accountable to their commitments, and fostering career growth.
* Actively participates in regular department talent planning discussions.
* Drives program and project management, IT governance, and SDLC process improvement.
Business Requirements - Providing functional expertise and executing functional responsibilities:
* Demonstrates agility and integrity in a highly complex and changing work environment characterized by shifting priorities and tight deadlines, with little need for direct support.
* Ability to learn business operations, policies, and processes enabled by the IT program portfolio quickly.
* Aptitude for program portfolio planning. This requires a deep understanding of roadmapping, expertise in identifying project and program dependencies and synergies, and expertise in project prioritization and capacity planning.
* Expert-level knowledge of standards and practices for IT project lifecycle management activities and deliverables.
* Deep understanding of standard IT governance practices and SDLC, including Waterfall and Agile scrum.
* Deep understanding of project technical activities, including: (1) solution analysis and design; (2) enterprise, solution, and infrastructure architecture; (3) systems integration; (4) data conversion and migration; (5) environment management and build processes; and (6) deployment planning and execution.
* Strong interview and assessment skills.
* Expertise in MS Project (Project Server) and at least one program portfolio management tool.
* Advanced skills in the MS Office Product Suite, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Partner Development & Team Building - Providing partners with coaching, feedback, and developmental opportunities and building effective teams:
* Challenges and inspires team members to achieve business results.
* Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
* Ensures partners adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
* Oversees training and development of partners directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
* Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to team members in order to achieve partners, business and customer results
Summary of Experience
* Experience as a project manager in IT or a software development setting. - 4 years
* Experience working in IT or a software development setting. - 6 years
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Ability to apply knowledge of multidisciplinary business principles and practices to achieve successful outcomes in cross-functional projects and activities.
* Minimum of four years' experience as a senior project manager or program manager in IT or a software development setting; must have at least six years overall experience working in IT or a software development setting.
* Experience using Agile methods and working on complex, integrated platforms required.
* Bachelor's Degree required; Master's Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Business Administration, or Management preferred.
Starbucks and its brands are an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals, including minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities. Starbucks will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all federal, state, and local ordinances.
Starbucks is a chain of restaurants that retails handcrafted coffee, tea, and fresh food items.