At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
About the Role
Uber is looking for an Engineering Training Manager in San Francisco to develop, lead and grow our technical and behavioral skills training for Uber software engineers. This is currently a team of eight mighty program managers and curriculum developers, growing to 11 by the end of the year.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
* Be the thought leader and visionary. You will drive organizational change through collaboration while empowering others to take action and risk. You have a strong vision and plan for the future, and seek solutions from effective influencers.
* Lead a team that delivers high quality training through the most effective channel (including train the trainer for engineer led training), facilitates effective content delivery, measures program value and iterates to improve training offerings.
* Grow, coach and develop a team of program managers and technical curriculum developers who create and deliver training, keeping the team motivated by continually reinforcing the team mission, and aligning it with the broader company vision.
* Be a developer advocate passionate about delivering world-class learning solutions to engineers at Uber. Engineers who leave Uber to work at other companies should talk about Uber's investment in them from a training and development perspective and feel that their opportunity to learn and grow during their Uber career was unparalleled and supported all of their development needs and goals.
* Manage relationships and balance multiple demands, effectively collaborating with stakeholders, including global and regional learning leaders, on training approaches that support Uber Engineering and company strategy that also align with team priorities.
* Measure, report, and analyze data to illustrate impact on both learners and the business. Fiercely prioritize new training and updates to existing training using the data you collect on learning gaps and program effectiveness.
* Assess technical training needs for engineers by determining skill and knowledge gaps and recommend formats for delivery of content.
* Manage professional development programs for employees and leaders (i.e. behavioral skills, manager development, leadership, professional growth, etc.).
* Articulate user needs and define business requirements for platforms and tools that accelerate and improve the health of knowledge-sharing. Bring knowledge of existing platforms and tools and know how to advise development of home-grown versions or enhancements where appropriate.
* Recommend and manage external vendors to bring high quality services within budget and on time to learners across the engineering organization.
* Some global travel required for this position in order to support Uber's engineering offices across the world.
What You'll Need
* Experience in managing world-class technical training solutions and behavioral skills training for engineers
* Experience leading new, innovative technical training initiatives
* Strong hands-on leadership and collaboration skills
* 4+ years experience managing technical training initiatives
* 3+ years experience as a people manager
* Demonstrated ability to mentor, coach, and develop direct reports
* Passion for the learning and development space as well as the growth and success of employees and leaders
* Experience with LMS administration
* Experience developing/deploying blended learning content at a global scale
* Must be highly articulate and possess exceptional communications skills
Bonus Points If
* Industry experience in software development, internet infrastructure, data analysis, and/or networking
* Familiarity and comfort with modern programming languages
* Comfort drafting and delivering presentations to varied audiences
About the Team
The Engineering Training Team aims to make Uber Engineering's on-boarding program, continuous training, and professional development skills cornerstones of development through rich content that is easily discoverable. The Engineering Training team provides opportunities for learning and development within our 3000+ engineering organization so engineers can continually grow and advance their careers. You will work within the new and growing Office of the CTO org to support the many talented engineering teams at Uber with technical, people and professional development skills.
The Engineering Training Team increases developer efficiency and productivity, as well as supporting the career growth of our engineers. We contribute to the infrastructure and development that is powering billions of trips, partnerships, and movement of people/food/things around the world. We reach out across the many software engineering teams at Uber globally to discover, assess, and prioritize technical training needs, ensuring our training offerings support a business that is constantly scaling and investing in new business lines and technologies to support them. We want our engineers to have the training they need at each stage of their career at Uber.
Uber is a provider of a mobile application connecting passengers with drivers for hire.