About the Job
We are seeking a strategic Manager of Databases to develop our team identity and build a portfolio of services designed to meet today's requirements and establish an innovative framework for the future.
As our Manager of Databases, you will be responsible for leading the Database team and serving as the single point of contact for Database related escalations. The key objectives of the Database team are to analyze, design, implement, and operate the technical requirements of Database projects, which include the selection, design, and management of database solutions using Oracle, MemSQL, PostgreSQL and MS SQL (along with technologies of which we have yet to even dream). The position includes planning, requirements gathering, specification, design, implementation, and operation of enterprise IT solutions, including developing processes and documentation required to support complex technical solutions.
* Lead the team into the future, by clearly defining services offered from inception to operation, while fostering innovation in the team to drive future offerings and capabilities.
* Develop automation solutions for databases to reduce complexity and manual tasks providing better consistency across services
* Understand the complexities of bridging the worlds of cloud and on-prem
* Advocate for Database services and work with stakeholders in order to enhance the relationship between databases, applications, and developers to ensure expectations are met while streamlining the full database lifecycle (e.g. upgrades, releases, refreshes, etc. between multiple environments)
* Develop, implement, and maintain policies, procedures, roadmaps, and training plans for Database services and their appropriate use while driving closer to self-serviceability
* Recommend changes to policies which affect database systems and subordinate applications
* Manage all aspects of the team including personnel career development, performance, and resource optimization as well as CapEx/OpEx
About the Team
You will be an integral part of a highly skilled team of geographically dispersed architects, engineers, and administrators responsible for providing Akamai application teams and developers, database services that are fast, reliable, and secure for applications and services. This team has designed and managed databases globally, which support a wide variety of applications like Enterprise Data Warehouse, Siebel, Hyperion, Enterprise Business Suite, along with in-house applications within or across system and enterprise boundaries. The team's primary goal is to increase the ease of use and security of databases, while decreasing cost, downtime, and repetitive tasks.
The Database team is part of the Enterprise Infrastructure Services (EIS) group in Akamai's Corporate IT organization.
Required Education and Experience
* Minimum 8 years of relevant experience and a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, MIS or another related field
* 5+ years of experience leading teams of database architects, engineers, and administrators
* 8+ years Database experience, including deployment, configuration, management and support.
* 6+ years of experience with Oracle Database components (e.g. Oracle RAC, Oracle Exadata)
* 5+ years of experience with designing database hardware components; compute, storage (NAS and SAN), network, security, and authentication (Kerberos)
* 4+ years of experience with database management access and monitoring and familiarity with most operating system commands/utilities on Linux and/or Windows
* 3+ years of experience working with virtual environments and clustering technologies
* 2+ years of experience in Storage+Server Architecture (Server Configuration, Security, and Networking)
* Experience prioritizing and planning work activities; planning for additional resources; setting goals and objectives; organizing or scheduling other people and their tasks; developing realistic action plans
* Advanced understanding of TCP/IP routing, VLANs, DNS, logging, and alerting
* Excellent troubleshooting skills for database performance and issues
* Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills; ability to effectively explain complex technical concepts to both technical and non-technical staff including executives
* Strong attention to detail with excellent organization skills
* Good analytical skills and Project Management skills
* An understanding of cloud database solutions (e.g. AWS, Oracle Cloud, MS Azure), and experience supporting database solutions in the Cloud.
* Integration experience with AWS, Azure, Rackspace and/or other cloud providers a plus
* Expertise on how to support highly available transactional systems, and advanced knowledge of Oracle troubleshooting and performance tuning for PL/SQL and the database itself, including routine automation experience
* Experience with MemSQL
* Experience with Oracle tools; Cloud Control/OEM, ASM, RMAN and Oracle DB options; Compression, TDE, Multi-tenant, Partitioning, Oracle Active Data Guard, and Oracle GoldenGate
* Exposure to scripting languages (shell + SQL/PLSQL) used to automate administrative tasks
* Good understanding of the ITIL frameworks along with the incident, problem and change management processes and procedures
* Willingness to take initiative and to overcome obstacles to achieve personal, organizational, and company goals
* Passion for pushing the limits of database technologies and their use in the workplace as a means to accomplish business objectives; able to look at the landscape and set a future direction based on what's possible, achievable and works for Akamai versus business as usual
* Strong understanding of application development methodologies
About Akamai Technologies
Akamai Technologies is a provider of cloud services for delivering, optimizing and securing online content and business applications across any device.