About the Department
The Clinical, Medical and Regulatory (CMR) department at Novo Nordisk Inc (NNI) is one of the most diverse and collaborative groups within the organization. From health-care-provider interactions and developing and implementing regulatory strategies with the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) to providing medical education and collecting data to support efficacy and new product development, CMR is involved. The one thing that keeps us all marching to the same beat is our patient-centered focus. At Novo Nordisk, you will help patients around the world. As their needs evolve, so does our challenge to find better and more innovative ways to improve their quality of life. We're changing lives for a living. Are you ready to make a difference?
The Machine Learning Engineer, Scientific Analytics - identifies and delivers dynamic and reliable analytics products and services by leveraging internal and external data to enable faster decision making across Novo Nordisk; and contributes to the growth, competitiveness, and innovation of the company. Acts as an internal analytics consultant to understand the needs of stakeholders, build strategic relationships, and develop/implement innovative solutions that address the needs of the business.
This position reports the head of Scientific Analytics and functions as a machine learning expert in the Scientific Analytics department. Collaborates closely with teams in departments throughout the organization, including Health Economics & Outcomes Research (HEOR), Clinical Trial Management, Global Drug Discovery, Global Research Technologies, Global Medical Affairs, Regulatory and Safety, & International Operations, as well as with other data science units globally. Mentors Analytics/Data Science interns and junior departmental staff and oversees projects with external vendors.
* Collaborate with other business stakeholders to define business problems and to design solutions using advanced analytics. Strategically analyses technology landscape to develop and deliver novel analytics solutions and services (Natural Language Processing (NLP), Amazon Web Services (AWS), data acquisition & preparation, ML tools). Regularly and adeptly uses best in class technology tools for maximum business impact
* Explores and introduces new data driven approaches to generate business insights in order to address unanswered business problems
* Expertly understands and incorporates analytics best practices and keeps on top of emerging tools and practices. Leads the development of new and creative analytics solutions that will become part of our core deliverables. Ability to quickly understand new concepts and implement novel designs to advanced data science problems
* Participates in large and complex analytics projects; understands stakeholder needs; demonstrates thorough understanding of data and directs data preparation activities. Rapidly designs, prototypes, and implements automated data workflows. Understands all aspects of project management (i.e. project charters & timelines, projects workshops, meeting facilitation, requirements gathering, communications, etc.)
* Provides rigorous assessment of the accuracy, validity and reliability of machine learning models. Validates, interprets and presents data findings to key stakeholders. Translates machine learning models into production ready tools for end users and drives intelligent analytics solutions. Strong understanding of the strengths and limitations of data sources & tools, emerging technologies and analytics trends. Understands predicative modelling, machine learning algorithms and advanced statistics
* Works closely with key stakeholders to understand current issues, anticipate future needs, and determine potential solutions
* Communicates to ensure efficient knowledge sharing and collaboration within CMR Operations and often with other departments in CMR
* Presents complex interdisciplinary issues at internal/external meetings. Presents work to multiple departments with both strategic and tactical recommendations that are business-focused
* Leads the development of new standards and/or practices. Applies analytical capability and insight to tasks to build support for new standards and/or practices across departments
* Collaborates with other Scientific Analytics team members to ensure overall integration of products and services. Leads and drives information analysis projects. Contributor and occasionally project leader on cross-functional and cross-departmental projects. Creates and uses project plan to drive complex projects
10-20% overnight travel required.
* Bachelor's degree with minimum of 7 years' relevant experience. Advanced degree preferred
* Advanced degree may be substituted for experience as appropriate
* Advanced degree in Information Science (MIS), Informatics, Mathematics, Engineering, Statistics (MS) or related field (MS) strongly preferred Excellent organizational, communication, and presentation skills
* Excellent organizational, communication, and presentation skills
* Advanced skills in Natural Language Processing, data mining, predictive models, machine learning models, information visualization concepts and tools
* Experience with cloud analytics platforms & tools (i.e., AWS platform & services, R, Python, SQL, etc.)
* Experience developing and implementing working, scalable Machine Learning & AI models & code
* Expert level understanding of deep learning algorithms & models
* Advanced skills in data acquisition and preparation (web scraping, data cleansing, ETL, etc.)
* Subject matter familiarity in one or more disease areas of interest to Novo Nordisk
Novo Nordisk is an Equal Opportunity Employer /F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.