At Change we are a unique blend of engineers, activists, marketers, designers and scientists with a common goal: to give the voiceless a voice and a chance to be heard in today's digital jungle; to allow everyone to connect with like minded communities and help people change the world for the better. People, the members, the activists, and our employees, are at the center of our mission and everything we do. Actually, employees at Change are a lot like the service itself: bright, brave, and innovative. Collaboration is the foundation of our workforce, and we're looking for smart individuals who are self-motivated and passionate to join us. Be a part of the team that creates a brighter future for everyone. Discover your future at Change!
Change has a great opportunity for a machine learning engineer with a practical background in machine learning, ideally with experience in natural language understanding, information retrieval, knowledge extraction, or deep learning who will help deliver Change to millions of people around the world. We are looking for someone who will own, lead, and execute projects. You should have outstanding programming skills with a deep understanding and proven track record of building robust, scalable machine learning systems.
As a member of our highly motivated team, you should be dedicated to excellence and have a strong sense of personal responsibility. We hold ourselves to high standards and take pride in our work. We are looking for someone who is not afraid to get their hands dirty in data and be an integral part of the machine learning team's expansion.
What you'll do:
* This is a fantastic opportunity to join the core group working on Content Understanding at Change and be a part of a team that is focused on building data driven systems and machine learning solutions
* Work with data scientists and data engineers to develop NLU systems that help us structure, understand and optimize petitions, leveraging the latest developments in machine learning and neural networks
* Use machine learning to solve a wide spectrum of problems across multiple domains, such as content matching and similarity, headline generation, image predictive evaluation, summarization, spam detection, machine vision narration, entities extraction, personal story and emotional charge detection
* Get a rare & blue sky opportunity to design, build and scale some of these systems from scratch and help shape the direction of machine learning at Change
* Most of all, have fun, make friends and enjoy a rewarding job helping activists all over the world in making social progress
* 3-5 years experience writing production-quality code in Scala or Python
* Professional SQL working experience (MySQL, Redshift/Postgres)
* Experience building production systems for data processing, feature engineering, creating training and test data, and continuous evaluation of models in live products
* Experience working with relevant ML libraries (eg., MLlib, Tensorflow, Faiss, Keras, Starspace, etc.) and a deep understanding of ML fundamental algorithms
* Professional experience with DNNs for document embeddings and language modeling tasks
* Comfortable and experienced working with large datasets and platforms at scale
* Professional knowledge of algorithms, data structures, statistics & distributed systems
* Experience with AWS or other cloud technologies (including S3, EC2, EMR, Lambda) for large-scale data processing and machine learning
* Working experience with MapReduce/Spark and other relevant big data infrastructure
* Experience working in multiple countries, cultures, and natural language processing in languages other than English (especially, but not limited to, Spanish, French, Russian, or Italian)
* Demonstrated ability to translate complex technical concepts to other staff (campaigners, etc)
* You enjoy creating an approach/direction from scratch and pursuing goals without directive guidance
This is a full-time opportunity. The position is located in San Francisco, CA, U.S.A.
Change.org is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.