The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is a national leader in scientific research and development. APL is focused on creating defining innovations that ensure our nation's preeminence in the 21st century. We are actively seeking a Machine Learning/AI Developer. The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC.
APL's Intelligent Systems Group (ISG) is a multidisciplinary team of scientists and engineers, within the Research & Exploratory Development Department (REDD). The ISG is focused on developing the next generation of intelligent systems for the U.S. Government. The current emphasis of the ISG is on machine learning, autonomy, applied neuroscience, robotics, and national health. The Intelligent Systems Group is seeking a highly skilled and motivated machine learning developer to support perception, machine learning, or inference research efforts.
Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):
1.Design, develop, test, and deploy software solutions for solving machine learning problems using Python, Java, and other common programming languages, as well as apply best practices of software engineering such as iterative, adaptive approaches. (85%)
2.Document activities and results with memos, internal reports, and external publications. (10%)
3.Participate in technical project reviews. (5%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
* B.S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field.
* Demonstrated ability in selecting, developing, and applying machine learning and data mining algorithms.
* Software engineering knowledge and experience, including development experience with multiple software languages and operating systems.
* Experience dealing with large data sets.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Ability to articulate complex technical issues effectively and appropriately for a wide range of audiences.
* M.S. in Mathematics, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Optimization, or equivalent and 5 years of experience.
* Practical experience working on complex software or system engineering challenges in a team environment.
* Extensive experience in developing and applying machine learning algorithms in various application settings, particularly robotics, autonomous systems, neuroscience, and healthcare.
* Experience with machine learning frameworks including keras, tensorflow, and pytorch.
Applicants selected will be subject to a Government security investigation and must meet the eligibility requirements for a NAC/LAC and access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include US citizenship.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws, and values diversity in its workforce.