We are looking for an experienced Linux Engineer who loves learning on the job and relishes the opportunity to be inventive about spearheading innovation in the systems and tools that run our globally distributed infrastructure. We support over 1 million zones for Rackspace's customers.
The ideal team member will dive into learning the existing systems and apply their extensive technical knowledge in systems management, networking, and automation to maintain the existing infrastructure on a small collaborative team as well as constructively recommend and implement improvements.
We are looking for a high-level Linux Systems Engineer who wishes to take their career to the next level by joining our DNS infrastructure team. Rackspace's unique culture allows Rackers to grow and develop technically while working at a company that encourages creativity, mentoring, knowledge sharing, and inclusion.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY: Responsible for architectural design and development of hardware, software, and the networking systems. Provides an architectural framework for system development, maintenance, and enhancement efforts. Implements standards and guidelines. Analyzes systems and performance usability testing to ensure performance and reliability, enhance scalability, and meet security requirements. Keeps informed of emerging technologies.
* KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITY: Advanced knowledge of: OSs and distributions, patching, monitoring, RAID, security, web servers, cluster management, high availability, root cause analysis, systems optimization, configuration and source code management, database administration, scripting language, auth/directory services, backups, caching, SSL certificates, storage, packet analysis, DNS , HTTP, FTP, SNMP, SSH, hardware, virtualization, networking, firewalls, load balancing, troubleshooting, stack trace analysis, methodologies of design and implementation. Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Linux, Shell Scripting. Able to resolve problems in a timely manner. Understand automation principles and design. Demonstrate ability to learn and adapt to Rackspace specific tools. Seeks out guidance and knowledge. Understanding and knowledge of adjacent roles. Beginning understanding of business impact.
* JOB COMPLEXITY: Responsible for implementation of basic architectural design of hardware, software and/or networking systems. Analyzes systems and determines business requirements. Ensures completeness and compatibility of the technical infrastructure to support system performance. Keeps informed of new technology. Follows and execute Rackspace change management. Contribute and organize central store of knowledge. Attends interdepartmental meetings. Participates in systems/code reviews and design sessions. Participates in Root Cause Analysis sessions. Evaluates changes using RPN methods and develop MOPs for changes. Takes full ownership of problem life cycle.
* SUPERVISION: Little instruction on daily work, general instruction on new assignments. Mentors junior staff.
* EXPERIENCE/EDUCATION: Requires 5-7 years Linux experience with a minimum of 4 years engineering experience. Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related technical field preferred. RHCE preferred.
* Advanced knowledge of Linux systems with moderate knowledge of Networking.
* Linux Configuration Management and Automation using Ansible.
* Experience with Bash shell scripting and Debian.
* Good Project Management and Organizational skills.
* Ability to quickly learn new technologies and proprietary systems.
* Experience with DNS highly preferred
* PHYSICAL DEMANDS: General office environment. Some stress may occur at times. Some lifting up to 20 pounds required.
* RGS Requirements: Candidate will need to be a US citizen (FedRAMP clearance will be required once started)