Please make sure to read the job posting in its entirety as it reflects both the University roles and responsibilities, followed by the specific description.
Department23320 Social Sci Computing Services
About the UnitSocial Sciences Computing Services seeks a highly qualified Linux Systems Administrator to join our team that maintains and configures our computational research systems. Duties include deploying new systems, automation, monitoring infrastructure, troubleshooting issues, processing RMAs, and benchmarking. The ideal candidate is detail-oriented and enjoys working on all aspects of computer systems from low-level hardware to automating virtual machine deployments. The successful candidate will have a keen sense of how to automate tasks and work efficiently. This position requires excellent communication skills and working with a multi-disciplinary team.
Job FamilyInformation Technology
Responsible for the design, implementation, and maintenance of new and existing applications, systems architecture, and network infrastructure. Ensures operation and security of all servers and networks. Configures, installs, maintains and upgrades applications and hardware for the organization's infrastructure and for end-user devices.
Career Track and Job LevelSystems Administration
Provides hands-on maintenance for production servers. Installs, configures, and maintains operating systems and utility software, using best practices and professional standards. Recommends, installs, and maintains appropriate levels of hardware and software firewalls associated with specific server implementations. Designs, scales, and builds automated approaches across all stages of infrastructure development. Continually improves automation of services, monitoring, alerting services, and resiliency. Provides tooling to all of development, operations and infrastructure, patch and maintain Windows and Linux servers. Actively participates in the design and development of products and projects.
P2: Requires knowledge and experience in own discipline; still acquiring higher-level knowledge and skills. Builds knowledge of the organization, processes and customers. Solves a range of straightforward problems. Analyzes possible solutions using standard procedures. Receives a moderate level of guidance and direction.
Role ImpactIndividual Contributor
ResponsibilitiesThe job participates in the design of automated, scalable, and rapidly deployable solutions to systems infrastructure and server configuration. Installs, configures, and maintains operating systems, monitoring and alerting systems, utility software, and firewalls. Plans and executes hands-on maintenance for production servers as well as Windows and Linux servers.
1) Maintains complex system and network administration functions. Works with moderate guidance to administer simple systems and assists in the administration of larger systems., 2) Installs, configures, and maintains operating system workstations and servers. Performs software installations and upgrades to operating systems and layered software packages. Monitors and tunes the system to achieve optimum performance levels, acquiring higher-level skills in the process., 3) Ensures integrity by implementing appropriate routine software and hardware solutions. Conducts routine hardware and software audits of workstations, backing up all information., 4) Maintains all supporting documentation for comprehensive operating system, hardware and software configuration. Monitors primary responses for information technology related security incidents and violations. Keeps current with new security and network monitoring technologies, applicable laws, and regulations., 5) Performs other related work as needed.
1) Deploying new systems
3) Monitoring infrastructure
4) Troubleshooting issues
6) Conscientious and Professional Interaction with Faculty clients and researchers
1) Ability to effectively contribute to a collaborative team environment
2) Ability and willingness to acquire new programming languages, statistical and computational methods, and background in research area
3) Ability to prioritize and manage workload to meet critical project milestones and deadlines
4) Confidentiality related to sensitive matters such as sensitive and restricted data sets, strategic initiatives, trade secrets, quiet periods, and scientific discoveries yet to be put in the public domain
5) Ability to take a broad plan and break it into incremental tasks and oversee the completion of each task
6) Ability to come into a team used to minimal supervision and oversight and ensure accountability for deliverables and outcomes
7) Ability to persuade others to adapt new structures or systems in order to meet objectives
8) Considerable proficiency in desktop computer software use in both Windows and Macintosh environments
9) Knowledge of system administration issues in a large and complex client server environment
10) Ability to prioritize and manage workload to meet critical project milestones and deadlines required
11) Technical knowledge of current software protocols and internet standards
12) Outstanding deductive and investigative skills to identify and diagnose complex, non-intuitive technical problems
13) Integrity and credibility to work with sensitive data
1) Ability to bend, stoop, and crouch in confined spaces.
2) Ability to lift, push and pull up to 50 pounds.
Education, Experience, and CertificationsMinimum requirements include a college or university degree in related field.
Minimum requirements include knowledge and skills developed through 2-5 years of work experience in a related job discipline.
1) Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, or a related field OR four (4) years of Linux systems administration experience
1) Experience with Linux scripting and/or programming
2) Experience replacing and installing rack-mounted hardware and components
3) Familiarity with virtualization
4) Experience with data center operations
5) Experience with secured environments or protected data
2) Cover letter
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application
Pay GradeDepends on Qualifications
Scheduled Weekly Hours37.5
Drug Test RequiredNo
Health Screen RequiredNo
Motor Vehicle Record Inquiry RequiredNo
Remove from Posting On or Before2019-11-09-08:00
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.