Description of position
This individual will join the Linux team at Costco, participating in administration of the Red Hat Linux Unix environments, integration of licensed and/or OEM software packages as well as all strategic and tactical planning of the environment required to meet Costco-specific business needs. The individual filling this role will also be expected to deliver excellent customer service and to interact in a highly effective manner with other team members and management. Costco is looking for a creative individual who can effectively manage projects and multiple tasks to meet business objectives.
Tasks and responsibilities
* Implements and maintains enterprise-class Red Hat Linux Unix solutions that support systems such as ERP and WebSphere.
* Designs and implements a toolset that simplifies provisioning and support of a large enterprise Red Hat Linux environment.
* Works closely with Applications teams to create a continuous integration pipelines focused on automation.
* Works closely with Application & Database administrators to standardize and automate deployments.
* Strong focus on design, build, deployment, security, system hardening and securing services.
* Plans and executes major platform software and operating system upgrades and maintenance across a highly virtualized environment.
* Manages the planning, implementation, and upgrade of OEM packages.
* Proactively manages system resources to assure maximum system performance and appropriate additional capacity for peak periods and growth.
* Plans, configures and implements features on the Red Hat Linux platforms that improve availability, response time, and monitoring of key system metrics.
* Collaborates with Enterprise Architecture to design and review architectural decision documents.
* Provides support to the user community using incident and problem management tools, email, and voicemail.
* Serves as a mentor and provides guidance and training to other team members and I.S. personnel.
* Periodic off-hours work required including weekends and holidays and be able to provide 24 by 7 on-call support as necessary.
* Creates and maintains detailed up-to-date technical documentation.
* Assists in other areas of the department and company as necessary.
Required skills, abilities, and certifications
* Minimum of 8 years of IT experience to include at least 6 years of Red Hat Linux experience in an enterprise environment.
* Experience with orchestration, automation, configuration management tools (Puppet, Chef, HCM, and ITOM).
* Experienced in working closely with development team to define and optimize a CI/CD pipeline processes.
* Proven ability to perform custom RPM builds.
* Strong Cloud experience in Azure.
* Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) or higher certification or equivalent engineering experience.
* Experience with Satellite, preferably 6.0 and newer.
* Developing and documenting standard operating procedures and best practices in a technical repository.
* Demonstrated ability in Systems Management and Administration (applying fixes, loading the OS, creating Gold images, resolving system issues, working with vendors to resolve issues, etc.)
* Proven expertise in Performance Tuning and Capacity Planning.
* Understanding of Configuration Management and Change Management Best Practices.
* Excellent troubleshooting skills and the ability to logically think through problem situations.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Proven ability to partner with others in the area or company to deliver quality solutions.
* Able to work effectively and produce consistent results with a minimum of supervision. Self-motivated, responsible, conscientious, and detail-oriented.
* Able to work well under pressure and handle crisis situations professionally.
* Strong experience with services in Enterprise - Active Directory, DNS, Apache, Tomcat.
* Strong understanding of Kerberos, cross-realm authentication and Kerberized services.
* Proven experience reviewing and comparing multiple platform options for a given application and collaborating with appropriate teams to choose the right platform.
Recommended skills, abilities, and certifications
* Experience with VMWare and virtualized environments.
* Experience in managing running on SAP.
* Working knowledge of Python scripting language.
* B.S. degree in Computer Science or equivalent formal training and experience.
* Successful internal candidates will have spent one year or more on their current team.
* Letter of interest
Apply: Use the link below to upload all required documents to
Applicants and employees for this position will not be sponsored for work authorization, including, but not limited to H1-B visas. If hired, you will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the United States. Apart from any religious or disability considerations, open availability is needed to meet the needs of the business.
Costco Wholesale Corporation operates membership warehouses.