Partners Data Systems
The Systems Engineer is responsible for designing, deploying and supporting the end-to-end infrastructure architecture for a specified Service a specific Service, service line, or group of services. The position will report to the Head of Engineering
This role will primarly work with R&D, Architects and Project Managers in a virtual team and focus on designing, building and deploying high availability, robust, resilient and supportable solutions to support the Services. With a focus on the infrastructure and operational elements of designing and deploying a service, examples could include ensuring services are highly available, have sufficient infrastructure capacity in place and are fully reslient across multiple data centres.
Essential requirements include a proven track record of deploying and supporting consumer internet infrastructure technologies.
A major part of this role will be working very closely with key stakeholders who include IT and the Technology Strategy Architecture teams, as well as the Service Operations teams, in ensuring the technologies adhere to 99.9% or higher uptime
* Work as apart of a service specific engineering team to design, deploy and suppot 24x7x365 operationals
* Work directly with and within the R&D and Program teams to collect the requirements and Designing, building and deploying high availability, robust, resilient and supportable solutions - focusing on the infrastructure and operational elements of designing and deploying a service
* Work as part of a virtual team of engineers responsible for defining and driving technology standards across the Service Platforms team
* Meticulous attention to detail with an appreciation for the relationship between system reliability and company success
* Take new releases from inception to deployment, functioning as both a technical and project lead
* Work with R&D Team to build a set of Performance benchmarks, and test each new release of Data Core applications against these benchmarks.
* Utilise SDLC and application deployment best practices to design and implement a strategy for ensuring proactive application deployment
* Develop scripts/tools to ensure a streamlined/automated application deployment
* Develop and utilise performance and capacity management KPI's for proactive mannagement of large distributed infrastructure environment.
* Use backup and recovery best practices to ensure critical systems are protected from data loss.
* Plan and implement structured validation and test processes to provide evidence that new or changed Services will support the requirements of customers
* Provide assurance that Releases are 'fit for use' (meets required specifications) and 'fit for purpose' (delivers required performance)
* Translates the Service design (including functional & non-functional requirements) into testing requirements and takes responsibility for testing activities
* Presents or makes recommendations on technical issues
* Consolidates system data to formulate reports for business managers
* Provides training to user community on systems support
A successful candidate meets the following:
* Degree in Computing Science or equivalent
* 10+ years experience in relevant software or internet service industry with a service operational background supporting high availability 24x7x365 environments
* 5+ years as a Systems Administrator or Senior Systems Engineer
* Strong analytical and strategic skills
* Clear understanding of the lifecycle of software based services
* Excellent negotiation and communication skills
* Project management experience
* Ability to succeed in a highly matrixed, virtual and international culture where change and speed are part of daily work
* Experience in Internet technologies : horizontally scaled systems, high-throughput services
* Data Centre & Service Continuity Management.
* Operating Systems: Red Hat Linux, CentOS
* Application Servers and Open Source Components: Linux, JBoss. Apache Lucene, PHP, Data-Grid Technologies
* Storage Engineering: Network storage (NAS, SAN & Virtualized), Luster
* Database Admin : Oracle Coherence, MySQL, MSSQL (Other RDBMs technologies)
* Deployment Tools: CVS, Subversion, Clearcase (at least one tool)
* Monitoring Tools: Nagios Professional, Cacti
* Security : Encryption; Network security; Network topology; Cellular Network Connectivity
* Protocols: HTTP, SSL/TLS, RTP&RTSP, TCP, UDP, IP inc. v6, DNS, Samba, CIFS, SOAP and REST; Peer-to-Peer Networking, Edge Computing,
* Strong scripting skills e.g. Perl & Python
About Partners Data Systems
Partners Data Systems is a company that provides storage and backup automation solutions.