What you'll be doing...
Verizon product group is seeking to hire an experienced system administrator.
* Participate in system build and administration activities including Installing, server hardening and patching Linux operating systems.
* Support bare-metal servers running containers.
* Automate all things by identifying, owning, collaborating, and driving new or further automation to enhance the consistent stability of the environment.
* Perform successful root cause analysis for problem resolution on Linux servers.
* Participate in the application of security patches and updates to firmware, operating systems.
* Assist in implementing, supporting, and troubleshooting Linux OS issues relating to performance, compliance and security hardening.
What we're looking for...
You'll need to have:
* Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
* Four or more years of relevant work experience.
Even better if you have:
* A degree.
* Five or more years of broad system administration experience supporting Linux (RedHat/CentOS preferred) (to include automated OS installation, software compilation, package management, virtualization, OS lifecycle management, diagnostic and performance troubleshooting/profiling).
* Two or more year of working with and maintaining configuration management tools (Puppet, Ansible, Chef, Salt, etc.).
* Broad experience and deep understanding of DNS, DHCP, Kerberos, GRUB, SELinux, IPTables, PXE, SNMP, SSH, HTTP/S, and NTP.
* Understanding of application and OS security, CVEs, and patching.
* Experience with shell scripting interpreted or compiled languages such as Bash, Perl, Python, Go, C, or C++.
* Experience with common version control software such as Git.
* Understanding of networking layers 1 through 3.
* Strong understanding of network fundamentals (TCP/IP, HTTP, DNS, SSL/TLS, Layer 3 and Layer 7 load balancing, etc.).
* Ability to be a creative problem solver.
* Exposure to private and public cloud including but not limited to Amazon AWS, MS Azure.
* Strong ability to collaborate and be a strong team member.
* Ability to multi-task in a dynamic environment with changing priorities.
* Willingness to travel
When you join Verizon...
You'll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America's fastest and most reliable network, we're leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we're about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences,including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Verizon Communications (formerly Bell Atlantic) is a company providing communications, information, and entertainment products and services.