The Linux Operations Engineer sits at the heart of the SiteSpect technology platform, owning the day-to-day operations and management of our production environments, including the hardware, networking, and OS layers, as well as deployment of software and infrastructure upgrades. This position resides within our Platform Operations team, comprised of other engineers and specialists who ensure that our services are delivered in a scalable and resilient manner, and with the highest possible standard for speed and performance.
We hire creative engineers and technology enthusiasts who enjoy being challenged by problems of scale and complexity, with a strong desire to make services better both for coworkers and end users. We are solving challenges such as distributed monitoring and system visibility, continuous integration of code releases on live systems, and multi-tier load balancing - all of which takes place on SiteSpect's private cloud platform which is utilized by the largest site operators in the world.
* Day-to-day management of production Linux systems, including both public cloud, private cloud and on-premise systems.
* Perform planned and unplanned maintenance procedures, including software upgrades and patches.
* Serve as escalation resource between Help Desk and systems engineering, handling technical issues which may require further investigation and consultation with other teams within the company
* Monitor operational components for warnings and errors, investigate and resolve issues.
* Assist with system deployment duties including system builds, packaging and shipping, physical/network installation, command-line configurations.
* Contribute to infrastructure as code (IaC) development - we use Puppet and Terraform.
* Automate repeatable processes through Ansible playbooks and python scripts.
* This position has an on-call component for issue response.
* 3+ years of Unix/Linux system administration for mid- to large-scale production web environments.
* 2+ years of professional experience with configuration management (Puppet, Chef, etc.)
* 1+ years of professional experience with shell scripting, including bash, perl or python.
* Strong troubleshooting skills.
* Solid understanding of DNS and load balancing - experience with both a plus.
* Experience with web server configuration, tuning and administration.
* Experience with system monitoring tools such as nagios, sar, cacti.
* Experience with network analysis tools such as tcpdump and Wireshark.
Candidates should have experience working in a team environment alongside other engineers and product managers. You should be comfortable with the dynamic and fast pace that is typical for an Internet software startup.
SiteSpect is an optimization platform enabling web and mobile marketers to improve conversion rates and engagement.