Datto, the world's leading provider of IT solutions delivered through managed service providers, is looking for a Linux Big Data Engineer to join a growing team. Datto is a creative company at its core and is an exciting and dynamic workplace. We're 100% focused on our managed service provider partners and believe that with the right technology, managed service providers can change how businesses around the world operate. Datto provides data protection, business continuity, networking, business management, and file backup and sync products that empower and protect the clients of our 14,000+ partners. We're headquartered in Norwalk, Connecticut and have 22 offices worldwide.
You will report to the Sr. Monitoring Engineer I - Lead.
Does This Describe You:
You're a creative thinker who loves teamwork.
A Look Inside the Job:
* Participate in the architecture, installation, and operation of various Big Data systems including Hadoop, Cassandra, Elasticsearch, and Redis
* Work with big fleets of hosts, and large scales of data
* Learn what makes distributed systems tick by collecting and analyzing metrics
* Ensure system stability, scalability, security, and performance
* Solve complex scaling challenges
* Partner with developers to construct solutions to analytics problems
* We build and support in-house systems that feasibly work at our large-scale, using open source technologies like kafka, elasticsearch, Hadoop (hbase, OpenTSDB, hdfs), redis, cassandra, Icinga, Bosun, Zabbix
* 5+ years of experience with Linux administration (Ubuntu preferred, but it doesn't matter.)
* Willingness to participate in a small team that consists of mostly remote members
* Intermediate knowledge of at least one Big Data technology: Cassandra, Elasticsearch, Hadoop
* Solid configuration management skills (Ansible preferred, Datto also uses Puppet, Salt)
* Experience with scripting and system automation (Bash, Python, Perl, Awk, etc.)
* Work well in an energized environment
* Documentation skills mandatory
* Good diagnostic expertise including problem investigation, root-cause analysis, and resolution skills
* The desire and ability to see a problem through to a complete solution
* You pick things up quickly
* Ability to effectively manage time and push multiple projects at once
* Travel on a limited basis (No more than four times per year for the quarterly department meeting in Norwalk, CT)
* Limited on-call responsibilities (It's not bad, trust me.)
Note: We are looking only for candidates willing to join us directly as W2 employees (No 3rd party candidates)
At Datto, we believe our employees are our greatest asset and offer all full-time employees a wide-ranging benefits package, including:
* Comprehensive health-care benefits
* Free lunch every Friday
* Flexible paid time off policy
* Free food, drinks, and fresh organic fruit
* Fitness reimbursement
* Charity match program
* Transit subsidy in select cities
* Education reimbursement
* And more!
By submitting an application, you acknowledge we will process your data in order to consider you for the position you apply for and for other open positions within our company for which you may be suited. We collect and store your data in accordance with our Recruiting Privacy Practices.
Datto is an equal opportunity employer.
Datto is a company providing business continuity, networking, and business management solutions.