Why choose between doing meaningful work and having a fulfilling life? At MITRE, you can have both. That's because MITRE people are committed to tackling our nation's toughest challenges-and we're committed to the long-term well-being of our employees. MITRE is different from most technology companies. We are a not-for-profit corporation chartered to work for the public interest, with no commercial conflicts to influence what we do. The R&D centers we operate for the government create lasting impact in fields as diverse as cybersecurity, healthcare, aviation, defense, and enterprise transformation. We're making a difference every day-working for a safer, healthier, and more secure nation and world. Our workplace reflects our values. We offer competitive benefits, exceptional professional development opportunities, and a culture of innovation that embraces diversity, inclusion, flexibility, collaboration, and career growth. If this sounds like the choice you want to make, then choose MITRE-and make a difference with us.
MITRE's Electronic Systems Development and Embedded Security department is seeking to hire technical experts in wireless waveforms, signaling protocols, and protocol security to lead and support a range of projects of national significance in the public interest involving wireless communications and networking technologies with an emphasis on commercial cellular.
Qualified candidates will join a high-performing team focused on the instrumentation, analysis, and augmentation of wireless signals, to address mission needs for performance, resiliency, and security. The team performs hands-on experimentation, signal collection and analysis, conducts security evaluations, and develops proof-of-concept prototypes to enable new sponsor capabilities.
Looking to work with transformational wireless technologies such as 5G cellular? Experiment with modern wireless protocols using MITRE's private cellular networks and cutting-edge signals analysis equipment. Interested in exploring the limits of wireless communications security? Contribute to the evaluation and augmentation of wireless communications equipment hardware / software implementations. Have a revolutionary idea that you want to develop? Propose and lead a research project in our internal R&D program.
Want to do all the above while working with world-class experts and tackling some of our nation's toughest technical challenges? We'd like to speak with you. Apply for this position!
Lead teams investigating commercial wireless technologies:
* Explore, evaluate, and develop architectures to augment commercial communication protocols to provide secure and resilient communications for government applications
* Assess spectrum co-location of commercial and military systems
* Perform hands-on security assessments of wireless protocol and radio implementations
* Assess mobile wireless technology trends, commercial and government solutions for a variety of projects and government sponsors
* Lead internal research projects; aid others in the process
* Help shape technical capability areas by researching and recommending capital investments, training opportunities, and capability enhancements
* Define and create wireless test networks, test scenarios, and tools for collecting and analyzing results
* Analyze collected and generated signals
* Support field test and evaluation exercises: preparation, execution, and post-event analysis
* Knowledge of wireless network system radio and signaling procedures (e.g. eNB and core for LTE)
* Understanding of related network specifications
* Experience with deployment/configuration of IP networks
* Experience with programming in languages such as Python, Java, C++, or C
* Familiarity with commonly used physical layer protocols
* Ability to effectively communicate and present wireless network architecture, protocol, and security concepts as a technical advisor or technical mentor
* Strong leadership and communication skills
Highly qualified candidates would meet several of the following preferred qualifications, however, we do not expect any individual to meet all of these and are looking to fill multiple positions according to technical expertise.
Expertise in one or more of the following:
* RF communications, cellular waveforms, and signal processing concepts
* Scientific/numeric computing experience with MATLAB, Python, or C
* Experience with embedded systems and the implementation of wireless protocol stacks
* Cryptography and security concepts, including key-agreement protocols, authentication, encryption, and related concepts
* Embedded security topics such as firmware/software reverse engineering and vulnerability discovery
* Organization of dynamic engineering teams, work distribution, scheduling, communication
Familiarity with one or more of the following:
* Cellular physical layer signaling
* Cellular access and mobility procedures
* Cellular services and radio technology interworking protocols
* Electronic Warfare (EW) techniques for characterization, attack, and mitigation
A graduate degree (MS or PhD)