At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Northwestern Mutual is transforming one of the oldest, most stable companies in America, into one of the most innovative and cutting edge. Investment Products and Services (IPS) is our company's rapidly growing investment management business; building on our customers' trust, IPS is a $150B AUM "startup", driving change across the organization. Data Engineering provides the lifeblood of our modern company and empowers all aspects of the business. The Solution Engineering team is focused on addressing the biggest, most challenging technical problems across both of these critical areas. Our Technology unit is leading the way in transforming how technology is designed and used at NM. We are reinventing ourselves, reinforcing our core values, while embracing modern practices and cutting-edge technologies, to enable our business to grow at an unprecedented rate. We are looking for great people to help drive this transformation and shape our future.
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the Senior Software Engineer is the cornerstone of our technology team. At the heart of the microservice-based systems we are building are high-visibility internal tools and frameworks that support our organization's investment team and field force. As a member of the team, you will be finding innovative ways to architect, enhance and extend the platform, creating a best-of-breed experience for our users, and interacting with large amounts of data in real-time. Be part of a growing team leading the company in innovation and quality.
The Senior Software Engineer is responsible for:
* Architect, design and develop solutions to support key business initiatives
* Contribute knowledge expertise of critical technologies to align with team's strategic vision
* Establish project structure, design patterns, and coding standards across projects
* Perform frequent code reviews to ensure superior standards are maintained
* Leverage automation across all elements of solution delivery
A great candidate will meet the following requirements:
* BA, BS, MS in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field (or relevant experience)
* 5+ years of hands-on, professional experience building highly available, low latency, distributed systems
* Extensive knowledge of system architecture, object-oriented design, and design patterns
* Demonstrated experience developing event driven architectures, messaging and caching (JMS, Solace, Kafka etc)
* Deep understanding of Amazon web services
* Working experience in a DevOps, Package Management, Automation and CICD environment
* Experience adhering to Agile methodologies
* Excellent communication skills
* Experience developing web services using Java (Spring MVC, Spring Boot)
* Comfortable working with large data volumes
* Familiarity with test driven development
* Financial Domain knowledge
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client's interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Req ID: 25083
Position Type: Regular Full Time
Education Experience: Bachelor's Required
Employment Experience: 6-8 years
FLSA Status: Exempt
Posting Date: 05/13/2019