SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LEAD SOFTWARE ENGINEER (VEHICLE SOFTWARE)
As a Lead Software Engineer on the vehicle software team, you will manage a small team responsible for designing, developing and testing software that is used to control SpaceX flight systems for Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, Dragon, and Starship. You will engage with other SpaceX software and hardware engineers to discover the needs of the mission and code highly reliable software that turns the mission into a reality. You will be responsible for the complete lifecycle of the software you create, from development to testing to operation during a mission.
You are the engineer that other engineers can count on; you are technical, you attack every problem with enthusiasm; you remove hurdles. You are a self-starter, team player, have the hunger to venture into unknown areas and code and make the system work.
* Directly manage 4-6 flight software engineers on the vehicle software team.
* Provide strong technical leadership with a focus on continuous improvement.
* Drive architecture, design, and code reviews.
* Develop prototypes to prove out key design concepts and quantify technical constraints.
* Develop highly reliable autonomous software systems
* Design and implement fault detection and mitigation in software
* Own all aspects of software development, including design, testing, and mission integration.
* Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, math, or science discipline and 4+ years of experience in software development OR 6+ years of experience in software development.
* 2+ years of experience as a lead, manager, or functioning in a technical leadership capacity.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
* Strong software design and development skills
* Working knowledge of control theory
* Experience designing fault tolerant software
* Thorough knowledge of computer architecture and networks
* Knowledge of physics, math, and electronics
* Strong skills in debugging, performance optimization and unit testing
* Creative approach to problem solving
* Ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment with changing needs and requirements
* Ability to work independently and in a team, take initiative, and communicate effectively
* Must be able to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
* To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
SpaceX (also known as Space Exploration Technologies) is an aerospace manufacturer and space transport services company.