Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education and employment. A few years later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of 75+ in SoHo, NYC. We've raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, and more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year and helps them lead better lives, join us!
The Platform Team owns three key initiatives at Codecademy:
As a senior engineer on this team, you will take ownership of security initiatives around authentication and authorization. You will also manage integrations and subscriptions for our payment services.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
* Work closely with the Data Science team (which mainly works in Ruby, Ruby on Rails, and Golang) in owning data infrastructure, data warehousing, and ETL pipelines (we use Redshift, Looker, Apache Airflow, and MongoDB)
* Manage integrations and subscriptions for our payment services
* Architect efficient and reusable back-end systems that drive complex web applications
* Collaborate with Product Designers, Product Managers, and Software Engineers to help Codecademy deliver compelling products
* Identify and resolve performance and scalability issues
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
* A minimum of 8 years of experience developing web applications
* Strong understanding of NoSQL (MongoDB) and SQL (Postgres) databases -- We currently use a combination of PostgreSQL, MongoDB, and Amazon Redshift
* Experience with containerization technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes
* Experience with ops technologies such as EC2, ECS, Puppet, Ansible, Terraform, and Chef
* A passion for testing best practices; can write unit tests in your favorite language with your eyes closed
* Experience with Golang
WHAT WILL MAKE YOU STAND OUT
* BS/MS in Computer Science or engineering is helpful, but not required
* Proven empathy for our users, such as a background in education or past experience using our site
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of users with our product and in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- and works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds and beliefs are empowered to better their futures.
Codecademy is an education company offering online training classes on coding.