Why choose between doing meaningful work and having a fulfilling life? At MITRE, you can have both. That's because MITRE people are committed to tackling our nation's toughest challenges-and we're committed to the long-term well-being of our employees. MITRE is different from most technology companies. We are a not-for-profit corporation chartered to work for the public interest, with no commercial conflicts to influence what we do. The R&D centers we operate for the government create lasting impact in fields as diverse as cybersecurity, healthcare, aviation, defense, and enterprise transformation. We're making a difference every day-working for a safer, healthier, and more secure nation and world. Our workplace reflects our values. We offer competitive benefits, exceptional professional development opportunities, and a culture of innovation that embraces diversity, inclusion, flexibility, collaboration, and career growth. If this sounds like the choice you want to make, then choose MITRE-and make a difference with us.
MITRE's Infrastructure and Networking Technical Center is looking for a senior technical leader with extensive knowledge of communication networks and experience applying that expertise developing novel solutions to challenging problems. The Lead/Principal Network Technology and Security Engineer will have the unique opportunity to apply her/his expertise to significantly impact the nation's most important challenges while contributing to our goal of creating a safer world. In this role, you will leverage your expertise to lead operational and R&D projects from abstract idea to functioning prototype. Along the way, you'll be exposed to challenging problems spanning enterprise IT networks, data center infrastructure, critical infrastructure, network operations, network security, and more. You will have an opportunity to collaborate with expertise in MITRE, from industry, and across government and leveraging your entrepreneurial spirit, foster collaborations that will help us make progress on our safer world mission. If this sounds like a great opportunity, you're right, it is! Put your expertise to work in this senior technical leadership position by joining us in MITRE's Infrastructure and Networking Technical Center.
As a Lead Engineer in the Networking and Infrastructure Technology Center, you might expect to:
* Provide technical expertise on topics related to networking and network security to wide-ranging projects across MITRE
* Engage with technical experts from commercial industry, academia, government agencies, and FFRDCs to identify problems, investigate solutions, and develop consensus on best solution approaches
* Lead efforts that routinely involve tasks such as tradeoff analyses, architectural design, lab-based prototyping, and technology/product assessments
* Develop written products and technical reports that highlight findings and recommendations
* Work closely with industry to understand best practices and maintain a pulse of innovations in the networking and network security area
* Conduct hands-on lab analysis to solve technical issues, consider potential integration opportunities, and understand performance/scalability issues.
* Support innovation by identifying areas for research, developing proposals, and leading funded research
* Enable good business growth by leveraging technical expertise to enhance business opportunities across government and industry
* Bachelor's degree in Electrical, Computer or Systems engineering disciplines and eight years of technical experience
* Deep understanding of traditional IP networking (including architecture, protocol design and analysis)
* Strong understanding of networking and routing protocols (HTTP, DNS, STP, OSPF, etc.)
* Exposure to wireless networking technologies
* Deep understanding of network security concepts and technologies
* Self-motivated to learn new technologies and domain areas
* Proclivity for hands-on work is desired
* Demonstrated ability to take risk and achieve significant work program or organizational outcomes
* Ability to work well in a highly collaborative environment
* Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills
* Proven track record of proposing and leading technical projects and R&D initiatives to successful outcomes
* MS or PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Information Systems or related field.
* Understanding of programmable control plane (e.g., SDN) and data plane technologies (e.g., P4)
* Familiarity with newer non-IP based paradigms such as Named Data Networking (NDN)
* Experience with prototyping and building resiliency-aware, autonomous and adaptive networks
* Understanding of the applicability of machine learning models to network and distributed systems is desired
* Ability to quickly perform back-of-the-envelope calculations to understand performance aspects of networks.
* Working knowledge of network analysis techniques (stochastic modeling, control theory, optimization, and network sciences) will be useful
* Desire to engage with and mentor early career team members