What you do at AMD changes everything
At AMD, we push the boundaries of what is possible. We believe in changing the world for the better by driving innovation in high-performance computing, graphics, and visualization technologies - building blocks for gaming, immersive platforms, and the data center.
Developing great technology takes more than talent: it takes amazing people who understand collaboration, respect, and who will go the "extra mile" to achieve unthinkable results. It takes people who have the passion and desire to disrupt the status quo, push boundaries, deliver innovation, and change the world. If you have this type of passion, we invite you to take a look at the opportunities available to come join our team.
JOB TITLE: Server Field Applications Engineer and Member of Technical Staff
For more than 50 years AMD has driven innovation in high-performance computing, graphics, and visualization technologies - the building blocks for gaming, immersive platforms, and the datacenter. Hundreds of millions of consumers, leading Fortune 500 businesses, and cutting-edge scientific research facilities around the world rely on AMD technology daily to improve how they live, work, and play.
At this time, AMD is looking for a talented engineer for the exciting role as a Server Field Applications Engineer (FAE) and Senior Member of Technical Staff supporting the development activity for the Frontier supercomputer which is expected to be one of the world's most powerful computers for science and innovation when it is delivered. This system will be based on AMD's EPYC CPU and AMD Radeon Instinct GPU technology.
The engineer in this role will work directly with our partner and internal teams to develop and validate solutions which will be optimized for the AMD based platform across a variety of HPC domains. This engineer will also work with our partner on targeted end-user opportunities for RFP responses, system evaluation, customer education, POCs and deployments as needed. The successful candidate for this role should have a strong understanding of server platform architecture and GPU technology as it applies to high performance computing.
This candidate will be accountable to the Server Sales GAM and the Field Engineering Director for all aspects of technical engagements required to support account objectives.
This position requires the FAE to have a broad technical understanding of server CPUs, GPUs, platform architecture and the software ecosystem required to evaluate and optimize applications that run at the node, rack and datacenter scale. The position requires specialized knowledge of server software environments including Operating systems (Windows, Linux), Hypervisors, compilers, benchmarks, and targeted applications that may be used in HPC, Cloud and Enterprise markets.
The FAE in this role will:
* Provide technical assistance to BDEs, GAMs, and end-customers in the evaluation, design and development of AMD based server and data center solutions
* Partner with sales in determining possible application of AMD based products and solutions to meet customer requirements
* Perform technical presentations, training and updates for customers, partners and prospects
* Assist with the solution development/architectural design to meet specific customer needs
* Analyze customer product solutions and evaluate product performance based on market requirements
* Keep up-to-date on relevant competitive solutions and work with internal teams to provide competitive responses where needed
* Install and test solutions in-house, as required, to ensure successful deployments, evaluations, and RFP responses and end user opportunities.
* Provide hands-on, expert-level technical assistance to customer development and software teams for AMD GPU and CPU technology
* Other related duties as assigned
* The preferred candidate should have a combination of relevant academic and professional experience. The minimum qualifications associated with this position are BS with 8+ years of experience, or advanced degree with 6+ years of experience. Degree should be technology related bachelor's degree or other technical discipline (e.g. Engineering or Computer Science) or equivalent combination of training and experience. Requires knowledge in one or more of the following areas: CPU and GPU server system architecture, server HPC and/or Enterprise benchmarks. Candidate should have at least 5 years of server performance, profiling and tuning experience.
* Must demonstrate excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to manage complex problems involving multi-disciplined, cross-functional teams
* Good hands on and working knowledge of server hardware ecosystem at the node, rack and datacenter level
* Must demonstrate deep understanding of server hardware infrastructure including node and rack level storage (NVME, SATA) and Network infrastructure (GBE, EDR/HDR InfiniBand).
* Hands on experience in the setup and configuration of server systems including software, networking and storage infrastructure.
* Must be well versed in server software ecosystem including OS/Hypervisors, Compilers, Libraries, debug and profiling tools.
* Preferred candidate should also have knowledge of workload performance optimization and scaling from node to cluster level including message passing, OpenMP and NUMA tuning where needed.
* Candidate should have a firm understanding of current GPU technology and supporting software ecosystem (CUDA, ROCm, HIP) including tools used to evaluate, profile and optimize systems containing heterogeneous compute engines.
* Experience with virtualization technology and one or more hypervisor solutions is preferred.
* Candidate must be open to learning and applying emerging technologies as proposed solutions for the datacenter.
* The preferred candidate should have a very good working knowledge of key workloads across HPC domains including: Seismic Processing, Data Analytics, Climate/Weather, Reservoir Simulation, Quantum Mechanics Molecular Dynamics, Computational Biology and Life Sciences.
* Examples of workloads in these domains might include: STREAM, HPL, SPECCPU, LS-DYNA, Gromacs, Fluent, OpenFOAM, VASP, HPC-CG, HPCC etc..
* Physical requirement: must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. (racking hardware)
* This position requires an individual with excellent organizational and communication skills with a good balance of hardware, architecture and software expertise. The successful candidate must demonstrate both the ability to work independently as well as part of a team. They must also demonstrate good time management skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities. Strong internal (Sales, Marketing, Engineering) and external (OEM) relationships are required and the candidate must demonstrate a history of success in developing and maintaining technical relationships.
* Must be a team player with excellent collaborative skills and superior written and oral communication skills.
* Travel required: Yes.
Requisition Number: 74345
Country: United States State: Texas City: Austin
Job Function: Field Application Engineering/ Field Support (S&M)
AMD does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters, recruitment agencies or fee based recruitment services. AMD and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. We consider candidates regardless of age, ancestry, color, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religion, political and/or third party affiliation, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or veteran status. Please click here for more information.
Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) is a semiconductor company that designs and develops graphics, processors, and media solutions for commercial and consumer markets.