Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Dept - Consumer Digital Req #2456428
COMPANY & DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW
Mount Sinai Health System is accelerating a transition to a business and operating model oriented towards the changing demands of the healthcare industry. Success in this new model requires an expanded focus on a unified and consumer grade digital experience. Mount Sinai will being developing new offerings to engage at home, at work, and in the community as well as improve the experience of our traditional clinics. New product lines involve offerings such as proactive memberships to help people stay healthy and make it easy and transparent to get care when needed.
The Consumer Digital department is operating like a startup, building a SaaS product for health systems. We are creating a brand new communications platform as a foundation to execute across these new product lines. We partner with top progressive physicians and clinical operations professionals to launch demonstration sites within the health system. This pilots act as our lab to iterate and improve the user experience so we can then expand system wide to help improve the lives of our over 2MM active patients. The areas we want to improve include:
* Access - How people search for, educate, and get care they need
* Navigation - How well we orchestrate the entire care journey
* Cost & Payment - Building transparency into costs up front and making it easy to pay
* Clinical Outcomes - Ultimately improving the well being of patients and our community
We are looking to create a Unified and Consumer Grade experience for all our patients and potential patients of Mount Sinai. We are "productizing" this system so any health provider can use it to engage with their consumers. Key characteristics to achieve include:
* Unified - A single portal health record that goes with you across workflows as a patient.
* Consumer Grade - A mobile first conversationally based UX that feels polished and snappy.
* Useful - Innovating on chat using structured widgets and unstructured NLU.
* Integrated - Connected to our backend clinical systems
* Personalized - Dynamically composing the experience and triage routing to right live staff.
* Relationships - Knowing the user's full care team, their family, and other clinical staff
As a Lead Front End Engineer you will get to work on a high-caliber team within one of the top health systems in the world. You will be responsible for building consumer-grade experiences using the latest mobile and web technologies and design considerations, and building and hooking up to modern APIs and data sources. Joining an early team there are senior and junior positions available, with opportunity to report directly to the CTO and collaborate with the Product Strategy team. The long-term vision for the team is to scale this platform across the enterprise and potentially 'spin out' to develop products for and with other health systems that offer lots of room for growth.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES
* Team Collaboration: Work with Engineering leaders, Product Management and UX/UI designers, turning mockups into beautiful, consumer- grade experiences. Attend daily standups and demonstrate and celebrate what you build and what others build.
* Domain Knowledge: Follow the market and the latest and greatest technologies being used to engage consumers and build great products. Know the relevant libraries and frameworks and be able to differentiate 'hype' from 'game changer.'
* Technical Skills: Have strong command of a programming language on front end and back end, as well as ability to learn new technologies quickly by prototyping and digging in.
* Product Development: Build mobile-first web and native applications in an agile environment. Be able to provide estimates and deliver high-quality output on-time and in-budget.
Engineering Professional: We are looking for software engineers with 3 to 10 years of experience as a full stack software engineer. We want someone with consumer experience where real customers and external users used the products you developed, and those products then scaled up in terms of volume of transactions, interactions, features, etc. A Computer Science or equivalent college degree is required. At a minimum, the ideal candidate will exhibit the majority of the following technical competencies:
* Fluent in a back-end language: Go/GoLang or Node.js best, or Java, Ruby, Python
* Experience in Database systems: SQL/Postgres and NoSQL/Dynamo
* Experience with AWS or other cloud hosting provider
* Experience in web and security tech: APIs, DNS, Https, Logins, SSO, OAuth
* Knowing any of following that we use also a plus:
* ReactNative, Paper or Material UI, GraphQL
* Google Analytics, DataDog, BugSnag
* GitHub, CircleCI, CodeClimate, Asana
* Knowledge of HIPAA, NIST, PCI, SOC, FERPA or other security standards
Entrepreneurial Heritage: Entrepreneurial spirit and desire to quickly develop product concepts, with a focus on continuous improvement and long-term career goals to be part of a startup-like company focused on dramatically improving US healthcare.
* Customer-Focused: Put yourself in the shoes of the customer, a patient needing help. Build the system you would want for you or your family during a time of need.
* Pathfinder: Nothing beats a relentless desire to innovate despite all obstacles. Hustle and find a way.
* Curiosity: Never stop learning. Challenge ideas and look at the data. "The capacity to learn is a gift. The ability to learn is a skill. The willingness to learn is a choice." - Brian Herbert
* Opinionated: Bring innovative ideas to the table. Don't be afraid to be wrong, and know how to have a professional, best-ideas-win debate. Collaborate and work together to refine.
* Passion: Empathy with a bias for action to make an impact on healthcare. Love what you do.
* High Standards: Iterate. Do not settle; great products are made in the last 10% of polish. We are building consumer grade experiences for people in need of healing, and they deserve the best.
* Ownership: Demonstrate follow-through on whatever you do. Take on any task necessary to help.
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity and inclusion is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we're as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai's unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize healthcare delivery together.
We work hard to recruit and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you have the opportunity and support to develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, have an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospitals, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke's, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.