At Sephora, "beauty" rimes with "creativity": Always nosing out the hottest brands and spotting the freshest trends and products, we are constantly bubbling with ideas and creativity, to offer our customers an amazing beauty selection.
At Sephora, "learning" rimes with "fun": We encourage curiosity, innovation, disruptive spirit and freedom to experience. We are serious but we don't take ourselves too seriously! Our passion, our sense of detail, the extreme attention we pay to details, to the others and to our environment characterizes us and nourishes our unconventional vision of the world: a colorful, happy, and generous one! This bold attitude makes our difference.
Our objective is to make Sephora the most admired beauty retailer in the world.
Our technology team works fast and smart. With San Francisco as our home, we take bringing new tech to market seriously, developing the latest in mobile technologies, scalable architecture, and the coolest in-store client experience. We love what we do and we have fun doing it. The Technology group is comprised of motivated self-starters and true team players that are absolutely integral to the growth of Sephora and our future success.
Your role at Sephora:
As a Lead Software Engineer you will design and implement innovative analytical solutions and work alongside the product engineering team, evaluating new features and architecture. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, Data Platform, you will work closely with other team members like data architects and business analysts to understand what the business is trying to achieve, move data from source to target, and design optimal data models. You will be also responsible for building and maintaining the data platform. This hands-on technical role demands excellent knowledge and can demonstrate best practices in the industry. Come be a part of a team that is starting this new journey.
* Lead, design and implement innovative analytical solution using Hadoop, NoSQL, and other Big Data related technologies
* Work with product and engineering team to understand requirements, evaluate new features and architecture to help drive decisions
* Build collaborative partnerships with architects, technical leads and key individuals within other functional groups
* Perform detailed analysis of business problems and technical environments and use this in designing quality technical solution
* Actively participate in code review and test solutions to ensure it meets best practice specifications
* Build and foster a high performance engineering culture, mentor team members and provide team with the tools and motivation to make things happen
* Work with stakeholders and cross-functional teams to develop new solutions or enhance existing solution
* Demonstrate our Sephora values of Passion for Client Service, Innovation, Expertise, Balance, Respect for All, Teamwork, and Initiative
We're excited about you if you have:
* 8-10 years of software development and deployment experience with at least 5 years of hands-on experience with Hadoop applications (e.g. administration, configuration management, monitoring, debugging, and performance tuning)
* Strong experience building data ingestion pipelines (simulating Extract, Transform, Load workload), data warehouse or database architecture
* Hands-on development experience using open source big data components such as Hadoop, Hive, Pig, Spark, HBase, Hawk, Oozie, Mahout, Flume, Kafka, ZooKeeper, Sqoop etc. preferably with Hortonworks distro
* Strong experience with data modeling, design patterns, building highly scalable Big Data Solutions and distributed applications
* Knowledge of cloud platforms, for example:
* Experience with Azure, AWS r equivalent cloud platforms
* Micrsoft Azure: Experience designing, deploying, and administering scalable, available, and fault tolerant systems on Microsoft Azure using HDInsights or Analytics Platform System (APS)
* Experience with Azure Management Prtal, Azure Machine Learning, and Azure SQL Server
* Hadop: Experience with storing, joining, filtering, and analyzing data using Spark, Hive and Map Reduce
* Experience working with continuous integration framework, building regression-able code within data world using GitHub, Jenkins and related applications
* Experience with programming/scripting languages such as Scala/Java/Python/R etc. (any combination)
* Analytical approach to problem-solving with an ability to work at an abstract level and gain consensus; excellent interpersonal, leadership and communication skills
* Data-oriented personality. Motivated, independent, efficient and able to handle several projects; work under pressure with a solid sense for setting priorities
* Ability to work in a fast-paced (startup like) agile development environment
* Friendly, articulate, and interested in working in a fun, small team environment
* Experience working in the retail industry with a large scale enterprise organization, ecommerce, marketing and CRM applications will be a plus
* BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent; MS preferred
You'll love working here because:
* The people. You will be surrounded by some of the most talented, supportive, smart, and kind leaders and teams - people you can be proud to work with.
* The product. Employees enjoy a product discount and receive free product ("gratis") various times throughout the year. (Think your friends and family love you now? Just wait until you work at Sephora!)
* The business. It feels good to win - and Sephora is a leader in the retail industry, defining experiential retail with a digital focus and creating the most loved beauty community in the world…with the awards and accolades to back it up.
* The perks. Sephora offers comprehensive medical benefits, generous vacation/holiday time off, commuter benefits, and "Summer Fridays" (half-days every Friday between Memorial and Labor Day)…and so much more.
* The LVMH family. Sephora's parent company, LVMH, is one of the largest luxury groups in the world, providing support to over 70 brands such as Louis Vuitton, Celine, Marc Jacobs, and Dior.
Working at Sephora's Field Support Center (FSC)
Our North American operations are based in the heart of San Francisco's Financial District, but you won't hear us call it a headquarters - it's the Field Support Center (FSC). At the FSC, we support our stores in providing the best possible experience for every client. Dedicated teams cater to our client's every need by creating covetable assortments, curated content, compelling storytelling, smart strategy, skillful analysis, expert training, and more. It takes a lot of curious and confident individuals, disrupting the status quo and taking chances. The pace is fast, the fun is furious, and the passion is real. We never rest on our laurels. Our motto? If it's not broken, fix it.
Sephora is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, military/veteran status, or disability status. Sephora is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.
Sephora will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
Part of the LVMH group, Sephora numbers:
* 17,000 references
* 6 million visitors annually to our Champs-Elysées flagship store
* more than 300 stores in France and around 2,000 points of sale in the world
* 27,000 employees - 4,500 of them in France
Are you willing to join us? What you will find: trainings, challenges, constant possibilities of evolution.The adventure starts here: Come sephorize the world with us!
Sephora is a company operating a chain of personal care and beauty stores.