As a member of the Decision Science team located in Chicago, the Lead Data Engineer will play a crucial role in building HNI's data engineering team. In this newly created role, you'll architect the cloud data infrastructure used by different teams at HNI and see data projects from beginning to end. This role provides opportunities to shape the future of data infrastructure and work on the latest cloud data technologies to develop analytic systems that scale with company growth. As a key hire in the new department, you will design, build, and manage scale-able data pipelines, data warehouses and productionalize machine learning models which provide insights to multiple business partners to make data-driven business decisions. If you like the sound of solving business problems, building a new functional area from scratch, implementing new approaches to data and making a major impact at a leading global company, HNI might be the place for you.
What will you do:
* Develop optimal data processing architecture and systems for new data and ETL pipelines
* Develop enterprise elastic/cloud data warehousing platform supporting the needs of data science and advance analytics projects
* Dive deep into all aspects of the business, understand the problems, and tie them back to data engineering solutions
* Act as a technical leader and mentor for the data engineers, helping institute best engineering practices and approaches
* Design and develop new framework and automation tools to enable teams to consume and understand data faster
* Brainstorm and contribute ideas to our technology, algorithms and products
* Collaborate with multiple teams in high visibility roles and own the solution development end-to-end
Who you are:
* 6+ years' experience in SQL, developing ETL Processes, Python and data warehouse space
* BS/MS in Technical Field, Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related field
* Proven track record of end-to-end architecture and development of enterprise data solutions using Python, Spark, CI/CD frameworks and MPP systems
* Hands-on knowledge of Python and Spark
* Experience with Linux, AWS/Azure, Cloud/Big Data architectures
* Excellent communication, teamwork and consulting skills.
* Strong analytical and problem-solving skill set.
Who we are:
HNI Corporation [NYSE: HNI] is a leading global office furniture company, specializing in seating, storage, modular workspaces, and desks. Its brands are among the strongest, most widely known and respected in the industry, including HON, Allsteel, Gunlocke, HBF and Maxon. The depth and breadth of their brands, the scale and capability of their manufacturing, and the strength of their distribution enables them to provide the best office furniture solutions to meet the needs of every customer - from the largest multinational organizations to the local entrepreneur. HNI sells its products through an extensive network of independent office furniture dealers, wholesalers, and office product distributors, retailers, commercial divisions of Office Depot and Staples, and in some cases direct to end customers. Office furniture generates three quarters of sales; the remainder is driven through HNI's Hearth & Home Technologies, the largest U.S. maker of hearth appliances (fireplaces, stoves, etc.). HNI has distribution partners in 50-plus countries, with most of its products sold in North America. Revenues for the company are approximately $2.2 billion.
The company was originally founded in 1944 by two brothers-in-law with the belief that success would come to a company anchored in the principles of treating customers, suppliers, workforce and neighbors with fairness and respect. This spirit continues to guide the corporation. Employees, who HNI refers to as members, are united by a dedication to integrity, quality, innovation, service, continuous improvement and value creation for customers. HNI's powerful member owner culture is reinforced through profit-sharing, which all members impact and are eligible to receive.
HNI has been ranked by Industry Week magazine as one of the "Top 100 Best Managed Companies in the World," by Fortune magazine as "The Most Admired Company" in the furniture industry and named by Chief Executive Magazine as one of the world's best companies for leadership development. Allsteel, one of HNI's operating companies, was recognized as a "2017 Top Workplace in Iowa."