Lead Applications Developer
We are committed to our mission: Through excellence, we create once-in-a-lifetime experiences, every time.
Holland America Line's mission guides our business to deliver once-in-a-lifetime experiences for our guests, care for our employees, remain stewards of the environment and operate in partnership with the people and organizations in the communities in which we do business. Our office is located in the beautiful city of Seattle, on the Elliott Bay waterfront just a short distance from downtown. Our Corporate Team supports a fleet of 14 modern classic ships offers more than 500 sailings a year visiting all seven continents.
Responsible for leading a team of Web Developers, focused on User Interface Designs and Development. Leads the technical design/analysis, architecture and development of internal and external software applications. Provides leadership, mentorship, staff development, direction and coordination to development resources in support of project and company objectives.
* Responsible for leading the overall direction and strategy of front end (UI/UX) design and development technologies for the Holland America and Seabourn web development teams.
* Establishes coding standards and best practices for the UI/UX Web Development team members.
* Evaluates team member skills and capabilities annually and ongoing. Defines career development plans, including training, self study and cross team interaction to mature individual and team UI/UX development skills.
* Responsible for the definition, design, construction, integration, testing, and support of reliable and reusable software solutions, addressing business opportunities.
* Work to translate visual designs to production ready screens in HTML/CSS/JS (Java environment) for a large scale web application (cross browser, multi device access)
* Build new interaction patterns (navigation, components, widgets, validation, error messages etc.) based on design specs, standards and best practices, using a combination of Javascrip UI Frameworks and plugins as well as Adobe Experience Manager (AEM).
* Participate in cross team UI/UX design processes, code reviews and troubleshooting problems related to UI design, webpage performance.
* Work with design team on creating new CSS, organizing and optimizing existing style sheets.
* Collaborate with product managers, software engineers and test engineers within development sprints to implement product features and enhancements.
* Ensure adherence to Agile team norms and coding standards, software design best practices, architecture strategy and intent.
* Responsible for leading the UI development team including mentoring staff and conducting periodic skills assessments and team development plans.
* Work with QA analysts to think out of the box creative ways to test functionality and performance of applications for environment and framework level changes
* BS or BA degree in information systems, computer science, business administration or related work experience.
* 3 or more years leading a team, specifically UI/UX focused development teams.
* 5 years of commercial or enterprise large scale mobile and web application architecture, design, development, and implementation
* Ability to create, clean, organized HTML and CSS code, leveraging current techniques, tools and libraries
* Demonstrated experience crafting solutions for layout and styling issues across multiple browser Experience developing Responsive/Adaptive Design solutions (RWD), with or without bootstrap libraries.
* 3+ years experience with grid layouts, media queries, and other responsive techniques
* Working knowledge of REST APIs and Java in a J2EE environment.
* Refactoring existing code to improve readability, code reuse, performance, and maintainability
* Experience with the development methodologies (Agile SCRUM), development tools (Eclipse, Webstorm, IntelliJ, Subversion, Jira, Ant/Maven, Hudson/Jenkins) and applications platforms (JBoss, Websphere, Tomcat)
* Proficiency with the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Fireworks)
* Experience with integrated testing /test driven development processes
* Experience with PhantomJS.
* Comfortable collaborating and communicating in a large team environment.
* Experience leading small teams
* Excellent documentation and knowledge transfer skills
* Excellent communication, organizational and analytical skills
* Working knowledge of alternative data management technologies (memCached, memBase, MongoDB, etc)
* Working experience with multiple operating systems (Unix/Linux) and scripting languages
* Working knowledge of multiple Software Development Life Cycles (SDLC) and industry standard development methodologies.
* Flexible Work Schedule! - 9/80 alternative workweek schedule option providing each employee with one (1) weekday off every two weeks.
* Time off benefits - 8 paid holidays, paid vacation and paid sick time
* Travel - Generous Cruise and Travel Privileges for you and your family
* Health - Complete benefit plans including medical, dental, vision and flexible spending accounts
* Wellness - Health and wellness programs include discounted health benefits and memberships
* Tuition Reimbursement - Up to 80% with a maximum of $3,000 per fiscal year
* 401(k) - Company match of 33% on employees first 6% contribution with 100% vesting after 4 years of service
* Profit Sharing Plan - Eligible after 1 year of service
* Employee Stock Purchase Plan - Discount on Carnival Corporation stock
* Training - In-house Discover University courses on professional development
* Rewards & Incentives - Employee Recognition and Reward Programs; rideshare, financial commuter incentives; special employee discounts for local venues, banking services and retail stores
For more than 140 years, Holland America Line has been a recognized leader in cruising, taking our guests to exotic destinations around the world. Apply today and set sail on an exciting new career course! Our application process is quick and easy, be sure to login to our Talent Center and create a profile and then apply directly to your specific job.Holland America Line is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability or protected veteran status.