The Regents of the University of California
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptance-academic and artistic, political and cultural-make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: June 27, 2019
Facilities Services works to maintain a campus built environment that is conducive to teaching, learning and research. We strive to continuously improve the campus in partnership with all members of the campus community. Facilities Services is comprised of the following units: Associate Vice Chancellor, Asset Management, Business Operations, Cal Zero Waste Services, Custodial Services, Customer Service Center, Engineering and Technical Services, Environmental Services, Grounds Operation, Inspection Services, Maintenance Operations, and People's Park
* Respond and process ticketing requests for service from departments within Facilities Services, Capital Strategies and other units as assigned. In particular, sets up user accounts, performs system maintenance, responds to end-user support tickets and performs backups for business systems.
* Under general supervision, manages centralized computer servers, Monitor and configure infrastructure to maintain integrity, security, and stability.
* Configure, deploy and maintain end user devices, which may include computer workstations, laptops, tablets, and mobile phones.
* Under general supervision, implements system enhancements (software and hardware updates) that will improve the performance and reliability of the system.
* Work with system administration and project management teams to support departmental projects.
* Assists with management and execution of security controls to prevent unauthorized access to systems and data.
* Monitor disaster recovery systems, campus backup for unit data, and server OS/images.
* Applies professional concepts to administer security policies to control access to systems.
* Maintain skills via independent study, self-paced, and/or group training or other resources as approved.
* Must be able to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner, both in writing and verbally.
* Must have basic knowledge of system performance and the actions needed to improve or correct performance.
* Basic knowledge of the design, development and application of technology and systems to meet business needs.
* Customer service focus and ability to prioritize and manage multiple, simultaneous tasks.
* Ability to automate system or application configuration with various configuration management tools, or scripting methods.
* Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Active Directory Services, Microsoft Server OS administration to include Desktop OS integration into AD.
* Experience administering firewall/switching appliances, preferably Palo Alto Networks or Cisco.
* Knowledge and experience with virtualized systems.
* Experience using and administering Remote Desktop Services.
* Experience working and maintaining a distributed systems infrastructure.
* Basic knowledge system security requirements.
* Requires general knowledge of networking, cabling, and hardware components
* Bachelor degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
* Experience supporting CMMS/ticketing systems in a Facilities environment
* Familiarity with network storage systems
* Linux Server OS administration experience
Licenses or certifications, if any:
* ITIL Foundations certification (or equivalent)
* CompTIA A+ Technician (or equivalent)
* CompTIA Network+ (or equivalent)
Salary & Benefits
Hourly rate of pay is to commensurate with experience. Hiring range will be $26.39 - $40.23 per hour.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
About The Regents of the University of California
The Regents of the University of California is the governing board of the University of California.