The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) Software Engineering organization is seeking a fullstack Java Software Engineer with at least two (2) years' experience. This position performs complex (journey-level) work including working closely with the application development team, the project management team, and the program team to develop and deliver world class applications. We are looking for a Software Engineer with good understanding of object oriented design and good hands-on experience in Java, webservice development and web technologies.
The Software Engineer is expected to work collaboratively with other team members in a positive, proactive and mission first manner Experience working in both a Waterfall and Agile development environment with a move toward Agile practices is highly desired.
The mission of DFPS is to protect children, the elderly, and people with disabilities from abuse, neglect, and exploitation by involving clients, families, and communities. Join us to get behind our mission of protecting those among us who are most in need.
This position is classified as a full-time position (40 hours a week). Work outside of regular hours may be required. Travel to other Austin offices(s) may be required. Works under minimal supervision, with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
This position is a full-time position that includes other State of Texas benefits as described in this SAO site: http://www.sao.texas.gov/SAOReports/ReportNumber?id=18-704 Essential Job Functions:
* Perform design, development, deployment and maintenance of features and enhancements to the websites, webservices and database.
* Collaborate with the team leads, devops team, project management team, and program team in the execution of enterprise level strategies and technical direction.
* Participate in business requirement interpretation and project planning.
* Contribute to and follow software engineering best practices to create robust and standardized solutions.
* Perform code reviews, unit testing, integration testing, testcase automation, continuous integration and continuous deployment.
* Write scalable and high available code by following the design principles and software engineering best practices.
* Identify, investigate, and resolve production problems in a timely manner, based on the priority.
* Contribute to documentation such as technical design specification, engineering best practices in accordance with agency Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) and Project Management Lifecycle (PMLC) guidelines.
* Perform other duties as assigned. Knowledge Skills Abilities:
* Progressive experience writing code in a Java 1.7/1.6 with preference for Java 1.8.
* Experience with Java Web Services both SOAP and Restful.
* Experience of application server including WebSphere, JBoss, and WebLogic.
* Experience with Spring technology stack including Spring MVC, Spring Rest API, Spring Security, Spring Data JPA.
* Experience with Enterprise Java Beans (EJB) versions 2.x and 3.x and Hibernate.
* Experience in developing and guiding meaningful unit test and integration test including Spring test framework, Junit, Mockito framework
* Working experience with Oracle PL/SQL.
* Experience with object oriented analysis and design.
* Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing to any level of the organization in a clear and concise manner.
* Experience working in both a Waterfall and Agile development environment with a move toward Agile practices.
* Familiar with and/or working knowledge of accessibility standards including WCAG 2.0 and TAC Section 508 is a plus. Registration or Licensure Requirements:
Initial Selection Criteria:
* Must have two (2) years' progressive experience in a Java, J2EE development environment.
* One (1) year's experience developing and guiding integration and unit testing.
* Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in computer science, information systems, computer engineering or a related field. Work experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis.
* Experience with Java Web Services.
* Experience with Spring technology.
* Application Server experience that at least one of WebSphere, JBoss, and/or WebLogic.
Note: You must meet the minimum initial screening criteria to be considered. You should not apply if your submittal documents do not clearly reflect experience meeting the initial screening criteria. Additional Information:
Note: Military occupation(s) that relate to the initial selection criteria and registration or licensure requirements for this position may include 25B, 255A, 255S, IT, 182X, 682X, 782X, 26, 030, C4|10, C4|11, ISM, 8846, 3D0X4. All active duty military, reservists, guardsmen, and veterans are encouraged to apply if qualified to fill this position. For more information see the Texas State Auditor's Military Crosswalk at http://www.hr.sao.state.tx.us/Compensation/JobDescriptions.aspx.
HHS agencies use E-Verify. You must bring your I-9 documentation with you on your first day of work.
I-9 Form - Click here to download the I-9 form.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), HHS agencies will provide reasonable accommodation during the hiring and selection process for qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance completing the on-line application, contact the HHS Employee Service Center at 1-888-894-4747. If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodation to participate in the interview process, please notify the person scheduling the interview.