Macmillan Learning is a part of the family-owned Holtzbrinck group of companies and is one of the leading educational technology companies. Through deep partnership with the world's best researchers, educators, administrators, and developers, we facilitate teaching and learning opportunities that spark student engagement and improve outcomes. We provide educators with tailored solutions designed to inspire student curiosity and measure progress. Macmillan Learning is comprised of renowned brands including Bedford/St. Martins, W.H. Freeman, Worth Publishers, Sapling Learning, SkyFactor, Intellus Learning, Late Nite Labs, and Hayden-McNeil. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to reflecting a broad representation of differences -- race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective-- in our workplace. The successful candidate for this position will become an employee of Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC ("BFW"), d/b/a Macmillan Learning. Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC has developed an affirmative action program in compliance with the NY Department of Education's guidance. Portions of the affirmative action program are available for review by applicants and employees by contacting Human Resources. Requirements
Do you like reading Stack Overflow? Do you nerd out over GitHub's trending repositories? Do you know what SPA, PWA, and JAM stand for? Are you a web ninja?
If so, let's talk about how we can apply your skills, where your career is headed, and how that fits with the opportunity at Macmillan Learning.
We are looking for a talented and hungry Junior Front End Web Application Developer! Someone who wants to create large-scale, accessible, and responsive web applications. Who gets excited at the opportunity to grow in an environment writing modular, functional code that will continuously deliver value to users.
* Work with Product Owners and UX Designers to bridge the gap between graphical design and technical implementation; taking an active role on both sides and defining how the application looks as well as how it works.
* Coordinate with other developers in order to produce an end-to-end user experience.
* Gather and refine requirements based on technical and functional needs.
* Write well designed, testable, efficient, and functional reactive code.
* Stay up-to-date with the latest standards, technologies, frameworks, and trends.
* Ensure technical feasibility and optimize for performance and scalability.
* At least 3 years of relevant experience in a web development role
* Complete a coding challenge to help us assess your skills
* Solid verbal and written communication skills
* Proficient knowledge of responsive web-design
* Knowledge of cross-browser compatibility issues
* Solid understanding of the latest security and performance concerns
* Works well both independently and with other developers
* Strong problem solving skills
* BONUS if you have a Bachelor's degree in a related field
Required relevant experience:
* Leveraging RESTful APIs
* Git Version Control
* Package Manager (NPM/Yarn)
* Task Runners (Grunt/Gulp/Webpack)
* Unit Testing
Bonus experience (nice to have):
* Functional Reactive Programming Principles
* UI/UX Principles
* ADA Accessibility Principles
* CSS Preprocessors (Sass/LESS/Stylus)
* UI Framework (Bootstrap/SemanticUI)
* Working with distributed/remote teams
This role will be working full time out of our office in north Austin, near 183 and Mopac. Our north Austin office is open and bright, and boasts a fully stocked kitchen, arcade and board games, lots of conference rooms, and plenty of desk space to collaborate with teammates or take heads-down time when needed.
What's in it for you?
* Working alongside driven and passionate professionals who care about their users
* An environment rich with challenges, creating regular opportunities for you to evolve your career and extend your impact.
* Great deal of autonomy.
* Forward-leaning product development team.
* Full support and backing from our leadership team.
* A company mission focused on improving student outcomes.
* Competitive pay and above-market-average benefits; we can't wait to show you what our healthcare and PTO offerings look like!