HHSC Social Services Applications division is seeking a Java / Web Developer who has a proven track record in developing and maintaining high-performance enterprise software solutions using Agile methodologies.
HHSC Social Services Applications team is responsible for implementing and managing leading edge applications including Texas Integrated Eligibility Redesign System (TIERS) and the related Eligibility Supporting Technologies portfolio that is used to process applications and to determine eligibility for over 60 types of food, cash assistance, medical, and community care services to Texans in need. We work with cutting edge technologies on many high-impact initiatives that serve various HHSC lines of business. We do this all with an exceptional team of software, database, and devops engineers, working together to make a difference for our customers.
In this position, you will develop, enhance, maintain, and support the TIERS applications portfolio including one or more of State Portal, Workflow Management, Enterprise Web Services, and related application components. You will work closely with the other application development teams, our business stakeholders and other partners to enhance the TIERS applications portfolio and to implement new solutions. You will work with a very talented team and some of the coolest web platform technologies including: Java/J2EE, SOAP/REST web services, Spring, JPA, JQuery, AngularJS, IBM WebSphere, Oracle, and more.
This is an exciting role, demanding a strong background in web platform technologies, and is central to ensuring that the TIERS applications portfolio remains available and in service for HHSC Staff and the citizens of the State of Texas. You will work in a fast paced, customer service based environment.
You will be responsible for performing business and technical analyses, system design, code development, testing, and defect repair among other responsibilities. Utilizing Agile development practices, you will participate in backlog grooming & user story development; design, develop & test application code; and work together with other teams in support of application enhancements planned to support new program & business requests and to enhance Scalability & Stability of the applications.
In addition, you will provide application operations triage support to troubleshoot & resolve functional & performance issues encountered in production, development, and test environments. This responsibility includes both workday and night/weekend on-call support as required to maintain high availability of the applications for various users.
Essential Job Functions:
1. (35%) Using Agile methodologies, under general direction with some latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment, performs the design, development and enhancement of assigned applications according to established processes to ensure successful delivery.
1.1 Participates in backlog grooming and user story development, as required, to develop customer requirements and system requirements.
1.2 Creates technical and functional designs, data and process models, and related documentation, as required.
1.3 Develops, deploys, and tests application code to ensure that the application code functions properly and without error in alignment with approved requirements & design. Completes analysis/ programming by deadlines.
1.4 Utilizes Java, J2EE, Enterprise Java Beans (EJB), Java Server Pages, Hibernate, JPA, JSON, XML, WebSphere Application Server, Oracle Database, Rational Suite, and other HHSC approved technologies / tools to perform work tasks.
2. (25%) Delivers a quality work product. Contributes to the development & delivery of quality code and stable & performing work products.
2.1 Participates in, and performs reviews for code quality, adherence to coding standards, and meeting business requirements.
2.2 Coordinates the development of complex test scenarios & test plans.
2.3 Performs unit & integrated testing. Supports the Test team in performing quality assurance tasks
3. (25%) Works together with team members to meet deliverable goals and objectives.
2.1 Performs analysis and problem resolution
2.2 Performs code deployments as required
2.3 Attends program design, coding, and test walk-through meetings, and provides input regarding adherence to technical standards, customer requirements, software releases, equipment configurations, and relationships/dependencies between systems.
2.4 Participates in cross-training and trains other team members as assigned. Participates in knowledge transfer of technical information such as application development, operating systems/ platforms, development tools, system integration, and business area knowledge.
4. (15%) Provides application support (defect repair, maintenance, and production operations support).
4.1 Supports monitoring of systems operations and assists with troubleshooting, diagnosis, and problem resolution.
4.2 Analyzes software for defects and performance tuning opportunities.
4.3 Develops and tests application code to resolve defects, improve application reliability and performance, meet production goals, and achieve timely issue resolution.
Knowledge Skills Abilities:
1. Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of software development and the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
2. Knowledge of Agile and other industry accepted software engineering practices and life cycle methods.
3. Knowledge of the limitations and capabilities of computer systems, information technology equipment, applicable programming languages, computer hardware and software, and computer operating systems.
4. Skill communicating with varied levels of staff and end users to develop positive effective working relationships and to establish credibility, trust, and confidence.
5. Six or more years of hands on web application development experience.
6. Four or more years of hands on application development experience using Java, J2EE, Enterprise Java Beans (EJB), Java Server Pages, Hibernate, JPA, JSON, XML, WebSphere Application Server, Oracle RDBMS, UNIX/Solaris, RAD/RSA and/or other similar tools and technologies to design, develop, test, troubleshoot, and repair enterprise-class web applications.
7. Skill analyzing software applications, defects, and business problems to draw evidence-based conclusions and devise innovative solutions.
8. Ability to work under pressure and successfully manage multiple overlapping deadlines.
9. Ability to contribute to teamwork and unit harmony.
10. Ability to accept suggestions for improvement and take steps to continuously improve one's own performance and conduct.
11. Ability to produce reliable, accurate, high-quality results.
Registration or Licensure Requirements:
Master's Degree in Computer Science or a closely related field is highly preferred. Initial Selection Criteria:
1. Graduation from an accredited College or University with a degree in computer science, computer information systems, management information systems, or a related field. Graduation from an accredited high school or GED plus four years of relevant full time, paid work experience may substitute for degree.
3. Preferred 4 Years: Experience performing analysis and maintenance of customer critical Java/J2EE based applications in a high-visibility production environment.
Requisition # 414397
Responsibilities include after-hours support for troubleshooting production issues and/or supporting production deployments.
Please complete & submit the State Application form. Resumes attached and/or pasted into the Resume field WILL NOT be considered equivalent to the State Application. A fully completed State Application form including the complete education & professional experience history is REQUIRED.
Military occupation(s) that relate to the initial selection criteria and registration or licensure requirements for this position may include: 25B, IT, 3D0X4, ISM, 8846. For more information see the Texas State Auditor's Military Crosswalk at http://www.hr.sao.texas.gov/Compensation/MilitaryCrosswalk/MOSC_InformationTechnology.pdf.
HHS agencies use E-Verify. You must bring your I-9 documentation with you on your first day of work.
I-9 Form - Click here to download the I-9 form.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), HHS agencies will provide reasonable accommodation during the hiring and selection process for qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance completing the on-line application, contact the HHS Employee Service Center at 1-888-894-4747. If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodation to participate in the interview process, please notify the person scheduling the interview.