Your Role and Responsibilities
Java Security Developer
Do you have an eye for technical details and quality? Are you interested in keeping business transactions secure from prying eyes and black hat hackers? Do you like intricate problems and the mathematics and complex steps behind solving them? IBM Security is looking to add a Software engineer to an experienced team of engineers to provide the 15 components inside the IBM Java JVM to provide Security. These components are critical to several hundred IBM products and thousands and thousands of their customers. These include several important and very much current and evolving Security technologies like Cryptography, Secure Sockets (TLS), key and certificate management, Kerberos. Post Quantum Crypto and more. Come and make your mark on thousands of products affecting a very significant part of IBM revenue.
This small team of experienced Software engineers covers several very different Security technologies so tends to work somewhat independently and tends to become subject matter experts in these critical and ever evolving fields. This expertise is used to develop and support these Security components as well as provide guidance to the many IBM products and their customers in providing Security to the business world. Our role is to provide expertise in using cryptography to secure business transactions today and to continually stay ahead of those that are always trying to break it. This includes new and evolving spaces like the potential problems that Quantum computers will cause to our commonly used cryptographic algorithms. You will have the opportunity to collaborate with a talented team of experienced Software engineers and IBM research around the world to stay ahead of evolving threats and new requirements.
* Develop and support one or more of several components that provide Security within the IBM JVM via cryptographic related capabilities
* Become a subject matter expert both inside and outside of IBM to help thousands of IBM products and their many customers provide Secure transactions
* Work with a small team of experts in the field to develop these component for the IBM JVM and collaborate with other experts in the field in other developments groups and IBM research around the world
* Stay ahead of the latest development tools, technologies and methodologies to stay up to date with these evolving technologies and new threats
* Collaborate and coordinate with peers to develop and improve IBM Security integrated solutions and sharing of software development and testing methodologies
YOUR ABILITIES & SKILLS
* Software development in Java
* Abilities in using and writing cryptographic capabilities or math to provide Security
* Excellent written and verbal communication and leadership
* Have a willingness to work alongside a team of experienced engineers and researchers to stay on top of the always evolving new challenges.
ABOUT IBM & Java Security
Security Systems Java Security team is seeking to add staff to an accomplished team of software engineers to continue to provide the 10 to 15 components, related to Cryptography, to the IBM JVM that are critical to many hundreds of IBM products across all IBM Business units. The team creates new components, updates existing components to keep up with the technology and supports them for the many IBM products and their customers. These Java Security components are related to Security from existing technologies such as Cryptography, Secure Sockets (TLS), Kerberos, Key and Certificate management to new and evolving areas like Post Quantum Cryptography. The team provides components, advice and support to many IBM products and their customers to help them keep their products secure and protect against attacks in the ever changing world related to cryptography. The positions require a strong background in Java development with some experience in Math, Cryptography, or Secure sockets and related technologies as this is not just Java development but building parts of the IBM JVM for products and customers to use directly. Experience in Security areas like Cryptography, Secure sockets, Kerberos, Key and Certificate management as well as debugging skills are valuable pluses. Practical experience in Software engineering, product development, along with excellent communications, teaming and agile development processes are also beneficial.
Developers on this team tend to work independently at times and become Subject Matter Experts to provide advice to the many hundreds of IBM products that critically need the Security components and Security strategies to protect their data and customers.
YOUR LIFE AT IBM
Impact. Inclusion. Infinence.
Together, these themes provide the foundation of the experiences of all IBMers, and represent the value inherent in a career with IBM.
Our work is truly life changing - from helping to cure diseases, predict weather, to cleaning oceans and beyond.
Our culture of openness, collaboration, trust, invites everyone to have a voice.
Careers are made from experiences. At IBM, those experiences can be diverse, unlimited and far-reaching so you can truly discover your true passion - without ever changing the company.
Required Professional and Technical Expertise
* Development experience in Java Programming
* Degree in Software Development and/or Mathematics
* Understanding of the Agile development process
* At least 2 years of experience in Java Development and Support
Preferred Professional and Technical Expertise
* 5 years of experience in Software Development
* At least 2 years of experience in Cryptography
About Business Unit
Your Life @ IBM
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Preferred Education: Master's Degree Commissionable: No
Key Job Details
* Category:Software Development & Support
* Required Education:Bachelor's Degree
* Position Type:Professional
* Employment Type:Full-Time
* Contract Type:Regular
* Req ID:219410BR
* Location:AUSTIN, TX US