About the Department
Imagine transforming the face of biomedical research and building world-class protein technology platforms in a state-of-the art facility. That's what we do at Novo Nordisk Research Center Seattle, Inc. (NNRCSI). Our scientists apply cutting-edge technologies to early discovery projects within the diabetes and obesity areas, with the goal of bringing molecules to market. Such projects include identifying protein-based therapies for obesity, diabetes, and adjacent therapeutic areas, and researching the next generation of medical devices. At the NNRCSI, your skills, dedication and ambition will help us change lives for the better. In exchange, we'll offer you an opportunity to work with extraordinary talent, continuously learn and develop, and drive change to defeat diabetes and other serious chronic conditions. The team is comprised of collaborative, diverse and passionate people who have a true sense of pride in their work and are committed to helping others grow and develop in their careers. You'll also have a platform to engage with key stakeholders on a global scale throughout the entire pipeline process. And while changing the future of diabetes treatment is no easy task, we also recognize the importance of an enjoyable workplace, which is why we've cultivated a culture of fun, ingenuity and innovation. And our competitive compensation package, generous benefits, and support of a healthy work-life balance all add to a best-in-class employee experience. We are changing lives for a living. Are you ready to make a difference?
The Research IT role will be responsible for ensuring operations of existing local IT infrastructure as well as pursuing novel solutions that allow the research teams on site to work with data driven sciences. Major tasks will be enabling solutions for capturing data from laboratory instruments and servers, ensuring local and cloud storage capacity for data, ensuring access to relevant cloud computing data science tools, as well as securing network performance for data capture and analysis locally and globally. The Research IT role will therefore be working closely with research and operations staff in Seattle as well as with the Global IT organization and coordinating with colleagues in Denmark and at multiple US locations.
This position reports to the VP Research Operations and is a member of the NNRC Seattle Research Operations Unit. Additional internal stakeholders include IT applications teams from Novo Nordisk (NN), IT security teams from NN; Legal, audit and compliance representatives from NN; NNI IT group for infrastructure, network, security, application and user related activities. NNIT for coordination on the corporate platforms rolled-out at NNRCs, Novo Nordisk Scientific Computing and Global IT. External stakeholders include service providers for support of scientific computing applications.
* Maintains IT systems and performs regular proactive maintenance and system updates.
* Provides systems integration, installation, licensing, version management, and basic troubleshooting; manages incident resolution when escalation of issues to software vendors is required
* Provide deskside and remote support as needed
* Fosters and develops an environment of open and honest communication to build strong partnerships and positive perception of IT
* Leverages in-depth knowledge of business functions, business processes and key objectives to develop solutions aligned with business needs
* Engages stakeholders to discuss the effectiveness of solutions and capabilities, and their impact on business strategies and performance
* Demonstrates the ability to influence expectations and negotiate with global stakeholders to produce desired effects on actions, behaviors and business outcomes
* Facilitates cross-functional collaboration among necessary stakeholders when making decisions and developing strategic plans
* Follows IT security best practices, policies and procedures in support of IT security programs
* Analyzes user requirements, develops and implements functional specifications and configurations for complex systems, and ensures requirements are met
* Champions best practices within functional area to enhance IT solutions and improve processes and results
* Champions recommendations and improvements to system and process performance and functionality
* Understands the needs of Novo Nordisk functions and translates them into innovative business and IT solutions
* Monitors and manages overall system and recommends solutions to hardware or software problems and issues
* Develops strategies and processes to ensure that stakeholders' needs are identified and met, commitments are delivered upon and that stakeholders receive superior quality service
* Develops creative solutions to effectively handle difficult incidents, and various techniques to diffuse situations and keep stakeholders calm
* Exhibits extensive knowledge of IT systems, applications, cloud computing and/or networks, and utilizes this knowledge to develop training for other technical supporters
* Serves as a role model to others for translating complex and technical information
Approximately 5% overnight travel. Must be able to bend, stoop lift, push/pull and move heavy packages and record storage boxes weighing up to 50 lbs; stand and walk continuously over an extended period of time.
* A BS/BA in Computer Science or Information Systems required with 4+ years of experience required
* 3+ years' experience in a biotechnology, life sciences, or clinical IT systems analyst or computer programmer role preferred
* 1+ year experience with distributed file system preferred
* 1+ year experience with HPC cluster preferred
* 1+ year experience with scientific cloud computing environments preferred
* Excellent troubleshooting skills with ability to create solutions
* Solid understanding of PC based hardware, Microsoft Windows Servers, Active Directory, Virtual Machines
* Understanding of network standards and protocols, wireless networks, VLANs, firewalls
* The ability to learn new applications and apply knowledge in troubleshooting situation
* Understanding of remote support and help desk ticketing systems
Novo Nordisk is an Equal Opportunity Employer /F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.