Help Duties Summary
WHAT IS THE IRS INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY DIVISION?
The mission of IRS Information Technology is to provide leadership in the delivery of information technology solutions that anticipate and meet enterprise-wide needs by empowering employees to deliver customer-centered, value-creating systems, products, services, and support.
Selectees will remain in their current post of duty.
Learn more about this agency
WHAT DOES AN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SPECIALIST (UNISYS OPERATING SYSTEM) DO?
An Information Technology (IT) Specialist (Unisys Operating System) uses their expertise to resolve exceptionally complex and broad IRS IT problems or projects and critical issues. In this role, you may be called upon to lead major local projects or substantial national level projects such as the application and adaptation of new and improved approaches the planning, installation, configuration, testing, implementation, and management of the Unisys operating systems environment in support of IRS's IT architecture and business needs. You will often find yourself involved in diagnosing and resolving some of the most complex Unisys operating systems problems and issues. As an IT Specialist, you will work with multi-year plans, new cutting-edge technologies or issues, and develop new policies and/or make significant changes to existing policies.
As an Information Technology (IT) Specialist (Unisys Operating System) you will:
* Ensure the integration of IT programs and services; develop solutions to integration/interoperability issues; design and manage IT operating systems that meet business requirements, and apply the existing architecture.
* Manage assigned projects; communicate complex technical requirements; and present briefings on complex issues.
* Develop policies, procedures, and strategies that ensure optimization and integration in the installation, configuration, and maintenance of the Unisys operating system environment.
* Provide authoritative advice, to other specialists and develop and implement agency guidelines.
* Lead a major IRS-wide operating systems project, (e.g., installation of Unisys operating systems environments, upgrades, consult with developers or vendors in defining requirements and identifying integration issues; oversee installation, customization, testing, and implementation of the operating environment; and work with vendor software engineers to correct problems and enhance performance).
* Evaluate the impact of new and proposed applications; and recommend changes to ensure the functionality and stability of the operating environment.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Occasional travel - 1-5 nights per month may be required.
* Job family (Series)
2210 Information Technology Management
* Information Technology Specialist (It Specialist)
Help Requirements Conditions of Employment
* Must be a U.S Citizen or National
* Click "Print Preview" to review the entire announcement before applying.
* Please refer to "Conditions of Employment."
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
GS-13 LEVEL: You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service. This experience must include Information Technology (IT) related experience that demonstrates each of the following four competencies: 1) Attention to Detail, 2) Customer Service, 3) Oral Communication and 4) Problem Solving. Specialized experience for this position includes demonstrated accomplishment of computer project assignments that required a wide range of knowledge of computer requirements and techniques pertinent to the position to be filled. This knowledge is generally demonstrated through assignments that required the ability to analyze a number of alternative approaches in the process of advising management concerning major aspects of IT system design. This would include defining what system interrelationships must be considered, or what operating mode, system software, and/or equipment configuration is most appropriate for a given project. At this level, your experience must be sufficient to demonstrate the ability to: Plan and coordinate an agency-wide implementation of process improvement methods and concepts to improve the quality of software products; serving as the principle advocate within the agency/organization for the application of process improvement concepts and practices; and consulting with senior specialists and IT managers throughout the agency in the implementation of process improvement practices.
* The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or VolunteerService. One year of experience refers to full-timework; part-timework is considered on a prorated basis.
* To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
Twenty Five (25) Positions are located throughout Information Technology division to be filled in any of the following locations:
Fresno CA, Washington DC, Atlanta GA, Chamblee GA, Covington KY, Lanham-Seabrook MD, Detroit MI, Kansas City MO, Holtsville NY, Charlotte NC, Philadelphia PA, Memphis TN, Austin TX, Dallas/Farmers Branch TX, Ogden UT, Kearneysville WV, Andover MA, Nashville TN, Jacksonville FL, Plantation FL .