Help Duties Summary
WHAT IS THE IRS INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY DIVISION?
The mission of IRS Information Technology is to provide leadership in the delivery of information technology solutions that anticipate and meet enterprise-wide needs by empowering employees to deliver customer-centered, value-creating systems, products, services, and support.
See "Other Information" for position locations.
Learn more about this agency
WHAT DOES AN IT SPECIALIST (CUSTOMER SUPPORT) DO? An Information Technology (IT) Specialist working in customer support provides technical support to customers who need advice, assistance, and training in applying hardware and software systems. Much of this work involves resolving difficult and complex problems, some unique to a single customer or organization, while others are more repetitive or similar to issues that have been handled and resolved before within the organizational component. As an IT Specialist (Customer Support) you will find that each day brings many new and exciting challenges, you will be exposed to the latest in information technology, and be recognized as an expert in your field
As an Information Technology Specialist (Customer Support) you will:
* Provide advice and assistance to customers; troubleshoot complex problems; and provide support in a manner that minimizes interruptions in customers' ability to carry out critical business activities.
* Prepare standard login scripts and establishing network access protocols to enable customers to gain local or remote access.
* Review, validate and standardize problem resolutions for inclusion in the problem resolution database.
* Provide technical support and expertise in resolving the most complex customer problems; e.g., by re-imaging customer workstations and correcting other workstations affected by similar problems.
* Evaluate and report on new tools and trends in the customer support field such as browser-based and speech-enabled customer support services; organize vendor demonstration sessions for other specialists; and recommend purchase of new tools to enhance the delivery of customer support services.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov IRSITJobs
Occasional travel - 1 TO 5 NIGHTS OF TRAVEL MAY BE REQUIRED.
* Job family (Series)
2210 Information Technology Management
* Information Technology Specialist (It Specialist)
Help Requirements Conditions of Employment
* Must be a U.S. Citizen or National
* Please refer to "Conditions of Employment."
* Click "Print Preview" to review the entire announcement before applying.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
GS-12 LEVEL: You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service. This experience must include Information Technology (IT) related experience that demonstrates each of the following four competencies: 1) Attention to Detail, 2) Customer Service, 3) Oral Communication and 4) Problem Solving. Specialized experience for this position includes: Experience that demonstrates accomplishment of computer project assignments that required a wide range of knowledge of computer requirements and techniques pertinent to the position to be filled. This knowledge is generally demonstrated through assignments that required the ability to analyze a number of alternative approaches in the process of advising management concerning major aspects of IT system design. This would include defining what system interrelationships must be considered, or what operating mode, system software, and/or equipment configuration is most appropriate for a given project. In addition to the above: At this grade level, your experience should be sufficient enough to demonstrate the following: Evaluating and recommending the adoption of new or enhanced approaches to delivering IT services; testing and optimizing the functionality of systems, networks, and data; Identifying and defining business or technical requirements applied to the design, development, implementation, management and support of systems and networks; evaluating proposals for the acquisition of IT products and services, ensuring the optimal use of commercially available products; ensuring compliance with data management standards, and recommending new or modified standards to increase; and responding to customer service problems resulting from incidents and/or catastrophic events, such as virus infections or power outages
* The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or VolunteerService. One year of experience refers to full-timework; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis.
* To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.