Massachusetts Department of Public Health
About the Organization:
Over 3,000 dedicated Department of Public Health (DPH) staff work at fifteen locations across the state. Responsibilities are diverse: doctors, nurses, and other health providers care for patients at the four public health hospitals. Epidemiologists track diseases and investigate clusters of illness. Inspectors protect the public by enforcing public health laws. Administrators provide guidance to more than 1300 community-based contracts. Laboratory workers identify and track strains of illness across the state. The Department's staff licenses and inspects over 560,000 individuals and facilities.
The mission of DPH is to prevent illness, injury, and premature death, to assure access to high quality public health and health care services, and to promote wellness and health equity for all people in the Commonwealth. DPH's IT group leads dozens of projects annually. The group leverages data driven insights to shed light on important public health issues such as the opioid epidemic and disease prevention and supports programs such as Women, Infants & Children Nutrition Program (WIC).
About the Role:
DPH is looking for an ambitious, intrinsically motivated individual to join the PMO office as an IT Program Lead. The IT Program Lead will work closely with the Bureau business staff and Executive Office of Health and Human Services (EHS) IT to manage the IT goals of the Bureau. This position will be fully involved with the procurement and supervision of a vendor to create a replacement for a current application within one of the Bureau's Programs. Responsibilities of the role will (likely) expand to encompass other IT needs of the Bureau or within DPH as the initial project wraps up. Additional responsibilities listed below:
* Manage the program's scope, schedule, budget and resources to successfully fulfill business and technical requirements
* Ensure programs are on-budget, on-time, on-quality and with high customer satisfaction; meeting project commitments with open communication to sponsors and stakeholders, etc.
* Follow the defined EHS IT project management methodology
* Lead or assist in the planning and implementation
* Prepare updates on project direction, progress and status to upper management, stakeholders, etc.
* Work in conjunction with the business to facilitate the definition of service levels and customer requirements
* Interact with existing, potential stakeholders and the business to determine their needs and to develop plans for improving delivery
* Present oral and written reports; defining plans, problems and resolutions to appropriate levels of management on a weekly basis
* Support stakeholders in design, priority setting and implementation according to the Business' strategic initiatives
* Identify required project resources; for technical or functional development, performance, and/or termination during the project
* Assure that issues, risks and other barriers to completion are rigorously documented, monitored and appropriately escalated to management for resolution
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
* 5 years of project management or program management experience
* Exceptional, extensive and proven track record of managing successful, large and complex programs that have met business and technical requirements with high customer satisfaction
* Outstanding grasp of IT concepts and processes
* Demonstrated aptitude for effective leadership of staff
* Skilled problem solver (root cause analysis, troubleshooting, etc.), consensus builder; adept at resolving conflict and team building
* Capable of working independently or as part of a large team; and ability to take on additional responsibilities to assist the PMO office and peers
* Proven prioritization skills
* Demonstrated leadership with strong organizational, presentation and customer service skills
* Understanding of SDLC and project methodologies
* Demonstrated ability to conduct detailed planning, perform risk assessments, and successfully mitigate project risks
* Ability to relate IT program priorities to the Business
* Process redesign experience
* Strong verbal, analytical and written communication skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
* PMP certification preferred
* Knowledge of or experience working for State Agencies
* Experience working in the Healthcare Industry
* Knowledge of programming languages
First consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
Please see Preferred Qualifications.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
About Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Massachusetts Department of Public Health promotes the health and well-being of residents by ensuring access to public health and healthcare service.