What you'll be doing...
As an IT Operations Engineer, you will be responsible for providing Server Infrastructure (x86) support for the Data Center Infrastructure Support (DCIS) Organization supporting over 16,000 systems in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment. In addition, you will be responsible for hardware support on physical systems and VMware support on virtual systems. This will include an understanding and support of the related infrastructure, routine system maintenance, middleware agents, server builds, change activities, SAN storage, and decommission process - the full life-cycle and upkeep of systems on the Verizon network. Other responsibilities include:
* Providing 3rd level 24 x 7 and 1st level 8 x 5 Production Support for: Server hardware engineering, troubleshooting and vendor call-outs, and change activities.
* Providing technical solutions to large enterprise projects such as software upgrades and tech-refresh initiatives for end-of-service-life (EOSL) hardware and software.
* Providing administrative support for OS teams.
* Supporting and maintaining windows patch baseline and deployment management.
* Participating in cross-functional teams (System Admins, Automation Team) in driving positive results for multiple activities related to strategic activities.
* Provide testing, planning, and rollout of firmware updates across x86 Server Infrastructure Platforms.
What we're looking for...
You'll need to have:
* Associate's degree or two or more years of work experience.
* Three or more years of relevant work experience.
* Willingness to travel up to 25%.
Even better if you have:
* A degree.
* Knowledge of HP, Cisco, and Dell hardware: support, upgrades, remote cards (Integrated Lights-Out - ILO and Dell Remote Access Controller - DRAC), Chassis/blade, storage configuration and management.
* Ability toscripting: PowerShell, Batch.
* Ability to execute large enterprise-wide projects.
* Understanding of basic datacenter operations and multi-pathing.
* Understanding of Linux/Unix/Windows/Solaris OS in an enterprise environment.
* Understanding of local and wide area networking support.
* Experience working with vendors in supporting server hardware.
* Understanding of virtual machine environments (i.e., VMware - vSphere).
* Knowledge of Windows OS, SQL Server Reporting; Scripting - PowerShell, Batch/DOS, Python.
* Cloud experience: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Private Cloud Automation (PCA), Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI).
* Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
* Ability to work independently and identify opportunities for process improvement.
* Desire to learn new skills, take on new tasks as needed, and work as part of a team.
* Willingness to travel up to 25%.
When you join Verizon...
You'll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America's fastest and most reliable network, we're leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we're about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences,including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Verizon Communications (formerly Bell Atlantic) is a company providing communications, information, and entertainment products and services.