The IT Network Engineer - SR is primarily responsible for the design, implementation and support of enterprise network infrastructure utilized by Lurie Children's. This includes routers, switches, telecommunication and relevant network appliances and technology for transport of data and voice services within the Lurie Children's campus and the Internet.
The IT Network Engineer SR is expected to be self-directed and perform responsibilities with minimal supervision. Additionally, this position is expected to mentor more junior staff, i.e. the IT Network Engineer. This position performs tasks in association with IM application and network systems teams. Duties may be performed directly or coordinated with external technology and/or service partners.
This position requires the individual to have a master level understanding of all assigned network, and application technologies and to assume responsibility for the successful completion of complex project tasks.
1. Develops and manages complex projects related to the network infrastructure and related technologies.
2. Mentors and develops the network technology skills of junior staff
3. Implements and maintains Cisco and other network vendor technologies
A. Maintains Cisco wired and wireless network equipment and software.
B. Maintains Voice over IP, VoIP and traditional PBX technology.
C. Performs network troubleshooting and analysis utilizing Network General Sniffer and other inspection tools
D. Works with the Manager of IT Security for policy and design needs related to network infrastructure security.
E. Develops and maintains cable, network rooms, and other physical elements of the network infrastructure.
4. Participate in other department or organizational project tasks as required
5. Completes assigned Help Desk support tickets within IM Department standards
6. Serves as liaison to vendors for equipment and software maintenance
7. Develops and documents procedures covering all aspects of enterprise-wide network infrastructure
A. Monitors and reports on performance for all enterprise network infrastructure and technologies
B. Performs ongoing capacity and performance planning for enterprise network infrastructure and related technologies
8. Assumes on-call responsibility for data center equipment operations, per the schedule
9. Performs other duties as as assigned.
1. Comprehensive knowledge of Cisco or other network technologies, HP-UX and Microsoft Windows server, network and client operating systems and technologies as they relate to the network
A. 3-5 years of experience working with Cisco technologies, in a complex enterprise network environment
B. 3-5 years of experience working with Microsoft, HP-UX, Solaris, and Windows client/server based equipment/operating systems and applications in a complex enterprise network highly desired.
C. 3-5 years experience with wireless network technologies highly desired.
D. 3-5years working with cable management and standards for IDF and Data Centers.
2. For engineers working with telecommunications and voice technology: 3-5 years experience in the operations and monitoring of all telecommunication systems, including PBX switches, VoIP, quality of service, voice mail, call/cost accounting, telephones, internal wireless phones
3. Education: Bachelor's Degree in Information Systems/Technology/Computer Science (or equivalent work experience).
4. Certification in Cisco, Microsoft, and other networking technology highly desired.
5. Master level skills in relevant network technologies, g. SANs and networking,
6. Demonstrated project management skills from both team member and leader roles
7. Programming or scripting skills necessary to assist in server and client management tasks highly desired
8. Analytical thinking for effective problem determination and correction within the department and in the user community is The ability to work independently, make decisions under pressure, while providing timely and responsive services are the keys to this position.
9. Excellent time and project management skills, customer service and interpersonal skills, system diagnostic and communication (written and oral) are critical for success in this position.