The IT Network Engineer configures, deploys, tests, and maintains, monitors and trouble shoots CDW's internal network components to provide a robust communications platform.
Key Areas of Responsibility
* Designs robust, highly-available, high performance data center network infrastructure involving multiple distributed systems
* Specific responsibilities include installation, configuration, administration, upgrade and maintenance of complex Cisco network switches, routers, Wireless, VPN, F5 load balancers and ASA firewalls.
* Maximize network performance by monitoring infrastructure; troubleshooting network problems and outages; scheduling upgrades; collaborating with 3rd party support resources and fellow IT engineers on network optimization.
* Supports all data services across the enterprise; analyzes bandwidth requirements and may provide proactive cost and capacity planning.
* Leads network projects to support capacity growth, upgrades and new products/features, and integration.
* Act as tier 1 support for all network issues; participate in on-call rotation.
* Participates in the diagnosis, isolation and resolution of network problems. Identifies and documents the root cause.
* Drives documentation of Standard Operating Procedure documents.
* Secures network system by enforcing policies; defining and monitoring access.
* Works closely with other departments/organizations and collaborates with other IT staff.
* Ensures the most cost-effective and efficient use of network infrastructure. Drives improvements in network process and standardization.
* Ensures compliance with change control processes and adherence to standards.
* Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
* 3 years experience in a technical role
Other Required Qualifications
* Experienced with:
* Complex IT Infrastructure
* Network design, planning, and implementing scalable, highly available, mission critical network infrastructures.
* Configuring and maintain cisco routers, cisco switches, cisco firewalls and cisco wireless access points, LAN/WAN Technologies.
* A variety of routing protocols including BGP, EIGRP, and RIP.
* IP Addressing (DHCP,DNS, NAT).
* Layer 2 network concepts including spanning tree, VPC, and VLAN design (example: Cisco Nexus/Catalyst switches).
* Advanced knowledge of F5 GTM, LTM, APM.
* Must have advanced troubleshooting skills (net. device and system level).
* Experience with Network Analysis Sniffer tools.
* Experience leading technical projects
* Thorough understanding of network security aspects, common problems and solutions (ACL, firewall filtering, and VPN)
* Experience with change management control tools and policies.
* Experience with Network Monitoring and other network administration tools: WhatsUp Gold, IP Management
* Certification such as CCNP (Cisco Certified Network Professional) or CCDP (Cisco Certified Design Professional, provided by Cisco
* Strong analytical, organizational and interpersonal skills.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Knowledge of and experience with the following skills: Cisco Routers, Cisco Switches, Cisco ASA Firewall, Wireless Access Points, Wireless Controllers, RADIUS, TACACS+, Layer 2/2, EIGRRP, BGP, Routing Protocols, NTP, SNMP, VLANs, VTP, Trunking, STP, HSRP, Ether Channel (PAgP, LACP), Multicasting, Cisco IOS, Whats up Gold, Wireshark, WildPackets, Cisco IOS, F5 Load Balancers, F5 APM, Riverbed, MPLS, VPN, Windows Server 2003/2008, MS products.
* A College degree in a technical track is preferred
* 5+ years' experience in a technical engineering role is preferred
CDW is a company that provides integrated information technology (IT) solutions to business, government, education, and healthcare customers.