SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
IT Linux Systems Engineer (Top Secret Cleared)
SpaceX is looking for an experienced engineer with deep knowledge and broad experience across Linux-based technologies. This employee will be a member of the Information Technology Linux Infrastructure team and will support the Flight Software, Avionics, and automation teams, amongst other business users. The ideal candidate will be flexible and flourish in a fast paced and challenging environment. The candidate should be a self-starter, self-motivator and possess ingenuity to excel at this position.
* Work closely with other SpaceX engineers to gather requirements, research, evaluate, design, plan, deploy, and support Linux-based / open source software platforms and related technologies in a world-class environment that meets the needs of the demanding SpaceX engineering teams. Build highly-resilient, high-performance, scalable, and flexible systems
* Exercise a high degree of responsibility for the processes, systems, and tools you create and manage; all supporting the goal of making humanity an interplanetary species. Strong focus on continuous improvement and team cross training
* Make recommendations, justify, and implement improvements using an accepted change control methodology
* Work within a diverse group to design and deliver creative solutions and resolve problems in a timely and proactive manner by interacting with internal business units
* Define, document and follow standards and best practices for systems design, testing, and implementation
* Drive scripting and automation to develop solutions to common problems
* Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, math, physics, information systems, or similar technical discipline or at least 5 years of professional experience as a systems administrator/engineer
* Experience with Linux servers in physical and virtualized environments
* Experience with Linux shell (bash scripting, output parsing, etc)
* Experience with Python or other scripting and automation languages
Preferred Skills and Experience:
* Expertise in creating repeatable, reliable, scalable systems architectures, with high availability, fault tolerance, performance tuning, monitoring, and statistics/metrics collection
* Expert working knowledge (including the ability to setup, configure, upgrade, manage, and troubleshoot) Linux-based and open-source systems and technologies such as Apache, BIND, HAProxy, NGINX, sendmail/postfix, iptables, etc.
* Expertise in source code and version control tools such as Git and Subversion
* Experience with configuration management (Puppet, Chef, Ansible), provisioning, infrastructure as code, and other DevOps concepts and tools (Vagrant, Docker, etc)
* Working knowledge of current and emerging web and C/C++ applications and build processes
* Networking experience in IPv4, switching, routing, firewalls and HA architecture
* Must be comfortable working with mission critical and sensitive systems, with a sense of urgency appropriate to the responsibilities
* Excellent communications skills with the ability to communicate with internal/external customers, vendors, management etc. in both formal and informal situations
* Active Top Secret or Top Secret SCI clearance. Note that an active top secret clearance may provide the opportunity for you to work on sensitive SpaceX missions. If so, you will be subject to pre-employment drug and random drug and alcohol testing
* To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
SpaceX (also known as Space Exploration Technologies) is an aerospace manufacturer and space transport services company.