United States Cellular
IS Sr Database Administrator - INF001300
The Sr. IS Database Administrator position within U.S. Cellular's IS Database Services team provides great potential for experienced DBA individuals who are motivated and self-driven, excited with new technology, and ready to accept challenges. The Sr. DBA role allows candidates the opportunity to explore new and advanced database technology, design and implement database solutions that fulfill and support business strategic initiatives and integrate well with server, storage, network and security technologies. The position provides future career growth opportunities in a Dynamic Organization supported by a team of seasoned DBA professionals.
The Sr. IS Database Administrator would be responsible for design, implementation, monitoring, maintenance and operational support of our portfolio of Oracle and SQL Server databases. The Sr. IS Database Administrator works with application and other infrastructure teams to design and deliver business and infrastructure projects. Tasks include solution design, implementation, administration, backup, security, software upgrades, troubleshooting, and issue root cause identification and elimination. The position is part of a team that manages business critical OLTP and multi-terabyte data warehouses utilizing and offering exposure to the latest technologies in the industry such as Real Application Clusters (RAC), GoldenGate, Exadata, Hadoop, Microsoft SQL Server Clustering, MongoDB and more.
Join US Cellular's IS Database Services team and accept the challenge to grow, contribute and impact the customer experience for millions of mobile customers across the US. Leverage your technical and soft skills to impact the broader team and organization in a positive manner through teaching and providing innovative solutions. Stay on the cutting edge of database technologies as we provide solutions to today's demanding business needs. Be recognized and rewarded for your contributions as you deliver and support a key element of the IS infrastructure here at US Cellular.
Under minimum supervision, the Sr. IS Database Administrator is expected to:
* Plan, design, and build high performance database systems.
* Work with architect, application and infrastructure teams on implementing customer-servicing application releases and infrastructure projects.
* Analyze database & system response time and determine tuning recommendations to improve performance.
* Effectively identify and resolve issues within scope of work following established resolution process.
* Participate in, and encourage a knowledge-sharing environment both within, and outside the department.
* Participate in on-call duties.
Ideal candidates; what they know relevant to the requirements below, they need to know well. Key needed skills for this role are communication and understanding. The ability to effectively communicate "How to do" relevant DBA tasks and the understanding of the "Why" you do these tasks in a Database environment. In addition, as far as new concepts, what a candidate doesn't know, they will need to be willing and able to learn. These are the main qualities the team is looking for in a candidate for this role.
* Bachelor's degree in the Computer Science, Information Services, Mathematics, Engineering or related field or its equivalent in terms of experience is required.
* Minimum 5 years' experience of the following are the base requirements for this role:
* Working in a DBA role on a UNIX (IBM AIX or Linux) platform
* Oracle Real Application Clusters / Automatic Storage Management (RAC/ASM)
* Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN)
* Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM)
* Oracle Partitioning
* Shell scripting and/or PL/SQL scripting
* Oracle Data Guard
* Oracle Net
* Minimum 3 years' experience of the following is desirable (nice to have but not required) for this role:
* Oracle Exadata
* Oracle Virtual Directory (OVD)
* Oracle GoldenGate
* Microsoft SQL Server
* Strong problem solving skills with the ability to quickly and efficiently pinpoint and resolve problematic system issues. Candidates need to be well versed in troubleshooting issues on the Oracle platform and be able to effectively communicate these issues with their team and other groups.
* Strong change management skills; change agent.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Experience supporting mission critical infrastructure in a fast paced environment.
Job : Information Technology
Location(s) : Illinois-CHICAGO_IL
U.S. Cellular® is an EEO employer and gives consideration to qualified applicants without regard to race/color/age/religion/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/national origin/disability/veteran status, pregnancy or genetic information.
About United States Cellular
At U.S. Cellular, we're not just in the business of connecting calls, we're in the business of connecting people.
United States Cellular