GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Functioning independently and under the general direction of the Principal Investigator, develops and implements statistical and machine learning algorithms for analyzing microbiome data. On a regular basis, contributes to scientific literature, reports, and presentations.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Under general supervision of the Principal Investigator, applies, researches, and develops statistical, mathematical, or computer science models for analysis, inference, and prediction from microbiome data sources.
* Develops software for use in the Principal Investigator's laboratory and for general use in the research community, for analyzing microbiome data. Software must be well-documented and maintained, including appropriate version control, internal documentation, and user manuals.
* Contributes to scientific literature, reports, journals and presentations.
* Assists in orientation and training of graduate students, post-doctoral fellows, and other personnel as needed.
Bachelor's degree in quantitative field such as statistics, electrical engineering, mathematics, or computer science. Strong academic credentials required. Applicant must include GPA on resume and list of relevant coursework with grades.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
* Strong Python development skills and experience implementing machine learning algorithms; TensorFlow experience desirable
* Formal coursework in algorithms, software design, machine learning, and probability/statistics required; will need to understand quite a bit of theory
* Curiosity about biology/medical applications; microbiome experience not required
* Superior communication skills; will be expected to contribute to writing scientific papers
* Excellent time management/organizational skills.
* Ability to work well in a multidisciplinary, team setting.
* High degree of initiative and ability to persevere on research problems.
Work will take place in offices in the Building for Transformative Medicine at Brigham and Women's Hospital.
The highly qualified individual who demonstrates high productivity and strong interpersonal skills may have the opportunity for future supervisory roles.
About Partners Healthcare
Partners HealthCare is a not-for-profit health care system that is committed to patient care, research, teaching, and service.