United States Cellular
IS Converged Infrastructure Engineer - INF001295
The IS Converged Infrastructure Engineer plans, designs, develops, implements, and troubleshoots the infrastructure technologies for IS Systems. This role provides expertise around specific technologies including Virtualization, Platform, Storage, and Back-ups. Act as the vendor interface for support of technologies. This role will evaluate and implement new technologies, policies, and procedures for business network operations. Works to implement maintenance (firmware, patching, Operating System upgrades), troubleshooting incidents, root cause analysis, and change control processes.
Location Note - This position is open to sit in the following locations:
* Schaumburg, IL
* Knoxville, TN
Key Areas of Skill Focus for this Role:
For this position, we are looking for an Engineer who is focused on VMware and Storage and OS Technologies. This individual will be responsible for design and development of VMware, Linux, Windows and SAN/NAS Storage solutions across the enterprise. In accomplishing this, this individual will facilitate and gather requirements from our internal clients and partners while aligning with Company strategies, policies, standards, and procedures.
* Familiar with VMware, MS Windows, Red Hat, Oracle ZFS, HPE 3par, IBM DS8K and Veritas Netbackup.
* Provide support to assist Converged Teams on troubleshooting and escalated issues to resolution. Assure the performance and availability of the systems. Troubleshooting as needed. Improve systems and processes through automation and continuous improvement.
* Identify changes needed in the IS infrastructure configuration to achieve the technology organization goals.
* Analyze network & system response and determine tuning recommendations to improve performance.
* Perform 24x7 tier 1 troubleshooting, including off-hour maintenance activities, problem resolution, and on-call. Actively support the infrastructure to expedite the resolution process.
* Execute established test plans and document/analyze the results for any new/changed infrastructure.
* Support identification and collection of metrics and performance reporting processes.
* Develop documentation as it relates to the infrastructure (Work Plans, Standards, policies and procedures).
* Leverage subject matter expertise when working with the automation and IS teams to identify and implement solutions that will improve reliability, decrease workload and improve agility.
* Ability to mentor and cross-training peers and lower level engineer.
* Maintain automated processes and work flows.
* Bachelor's degree in related discipline preferred
* 3+ years relevant work experience
* 3+ years of Linux (Red Hat preferred), Unix (AIX a plus), Microsoft Windows, and Storage Administration experience
* Knowledge of re-engineering / process improvement. Knowledge of IT Standards such as ITIL
* Excellent problem solving / analytical skills and knowledge of analytical tools
* Problem solving skills to include the ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner as well as gather and analyze information skillfully with attention to detail
* Must have excellent written, verbal and presentation communication skills
* Must have the ability to develop quantitative, prioritized action plans to mitigate risk
* Must have experience in the development of processes, procedures, and standards
* Ability to successfully present information in front of large audiences
* Excellent interpersonal skills, openness to others ideas and willingness to try new things
* Experience implementing successful IT solutions in a timely manner
* Ability to prioritize and plan and organize work activities
* Effective time management
* Exhibits the flexibility to adapt to a rapidly changing work environment, manage competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events
* Flexible schedule - must be available to work non-standard business hours as needed including weekends
* Strong change management skills; proven track record as an agent for technology and business process change with an ability to thrive in a team environment.
* Strong technical project management skills; Proven ability to lead complex technology implementations involving multiple technologies and support teams
* Strong understanding of the telecommunications industry is preferred
* Certification(s) in relevant technologies is strongly preferred.
* Experience managing infrastructure in PCI/CPNI environments preferred.
Technical Skills Preferred
* Operating Systems: In depth experience with current releases of Linux (RedHat preferred), Microsoft Windows, and Microsoft Active Directory.
* Virtualization Software: Current releases VMware ESX, KVM, or similar
* Strong understanding of VMware vSphere and ESX technologies: vRA, vRO, vROPS, Distributed Switches
* Storage Systems: Enterprise class storage arrays such as EMC, HP, and IBM. Enterprise storage network technologies (SAN) such as Cisco or Brocade and Network attached storage (NAS) NetApp or ZFS.
* Server Systems: Current releases of Cisco UCS server Platform. Current releases of Power servers. Current releases of x86 server platforms
* Linux and Windows server (2012 R2/2016/2019) administration and server hardware/networking management on Cisco UCS
* AIX server administration on IBM power hardware
* System Management Tools: Systems monitoring tools (CA Nimsoft, IBM Tivoli, IBM Netcool, etc.)
* Backup/Recovery software such as Symantec Netbackup. Systems management platforms such as RedHat, RedHat Satellite, Oracle Ops Center, MS Windows and VMware VCenter, IBM DS8K, HPE 3PAR and Oracle ZFS.
* Scripting Languages: Python, Perl, KSH, PowerShell, and Bash
* Network Protocols: NFS, CIFS, DNS, LDAP, NTP, SSH, HTTP, HTTPS, SNMP, SMTP, TCP, UDP, IP, Ethernet, TFTP, DHCP, telnet, RS232
* Office Automation: Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
* Planning & Design: Microsoft Project, Visio
* Perform 24x7 tier 2 troubleshooting, including off-hour maintenance activities, problem resolution, and on-call responsibilities
Job : Information Technology
Location(s) : Illinois-SCHAUMBURG_IL Tennessee-KNOXVILLE_TN
U.S. Cellular® is an EEO employer and gives consideration to qualified applicants without regard to race/color/age/religion/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/national origin/disability/veteran status, pregnancy or genetic information.
About United States Cellular
At U.S. Cellular, we're not just in the business of connecting calls, we're in the business of connecting people.
United States Cellular