IRM Developer Sys Analyst V
This position functions as a senior Java programmer for support and development of the CLASS application used by Child Care Licensing staff with the Health and Human Services Commission. The position will work on application development activities like requirements analysis, documentation of design, coding, and testing as assigned by the application lead developer or manager. The position interacts routinely with vendors, program staff, and other functional and system analysts to ensure requirements are met and work products are appropriately reviewed and validated. The position follows detailed plans and schedules, and coordinates activities, as well as, interacts with staff from other agencies to maintain interfaces, develop, test, obtain required work products, or for consultation; and interacts as required with agency managers and directors to plan, monitor, control and track assigned projects. The position may serve as a Project Lead or Subject Matter Expert on assigned projects of any level of complexity. The position works under limited supervision with latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment and performs other related work as assigned. Essential Job Functions:
A Systems Analyst V (SA V) performs complex to highly complex (senior-level) computer systems development and maintenance tasks for the Regulatory Division. Work is performed in a team environment but the SA V is responsible for coding, testing, implementing, and supporting the critical systems for Child Care Licensing's Regulatory applications. The SA V works under minimal supervision, with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
1. Application Development (25%)
* Designs and codes computer programs, subroutines, triggers, stored procedures, objects, classes and scripts in support of one or more applications associated with the Agency.
* Performs analysis, research, and interpretation of business requirements to document technical requirements and develop technical specifications.
* Practices current software development methods/techniques and establishes development standards (which include programming standards, documentation standards, and testing standards) to ensure the quality and maintainability of one or more applications
* Participates in project and team technical and functional design, requirement meetings.
2. Application Maintenance (25%):
* Participates in peer reviews of the design; walk through to ensure the integrity of the solution and its data; and ensures compliance with the Agency development standards and system-business requirements.
* Ensures own coding practices conform to established standards and follow best practice guidelines for quality and security.
* Works with trainers, technical support staff, network specialists, and contract staff to perform modifications and/or updates to existing systems or to implement new systems.
* Participates in release management activities and monitors progress of release status for team.
3. Verification and Validation (10%)
* Validates the completeness of unit testing by reviewing their own unit test cases and review unit test cases written by the other developers to verify the test cases.
4. Research and Analysis (20%)
* Evaluates existing and proposed modifications to verify business and system requirements, and equipment configuration are taken into account.
* Determines best possible solution by identifying resolutions that consider cascading effect.
* Completes ad hoc requests for analysis.
5. Professional and Technical Development (5%):
* Completes agency-related training as required.
* Stays current on the latest technology updates and development techniques for the applicable area(s) of responsibility. This may be accomplished via books, periodicals, Internet, conferences, and training.
Mentor junior level developers to increase the capabilities of the team.
6. Communications (10%)
* Communicates and/or collaborates with other functional and technical team members to coordinate development efforts in support of one or more applications within the Agency.
* Communicates progress and issues affecting work assignments to the Team Manager and/or Project Manager as soon as possible.
7. Other Duties as Assigned (5%)
* Performs other duties as assigned and required to maintain unit operations. Knowledge Skills Abilities:
Applicant should have demonstrated skill in the following:
* knowledge of the limitations and capabilities of computer systems;
* knowledge of the techniques used in the design of automated systems;
* knowledge of computer hardware and software;
* skill in coordinating and solving problems, in writing and revising program code, and in troubleshooting computer systems;
* considerable skill in planning and organizing work to meet goals/timelines and complete multiple assignments without compromising accuracy;
* ability to learn new technologies quickly;
* ability to understand and follow complex instructions;
* ability to work in a team environment and independently;
* ability to establish and maintain effective and professional working relationships with others at all times in the course and scope of conducting business;
* excellent oral and written communication skills;
* ability to provide after-hours on-call system support as needed;
* ability to bend, stoop and safely lift items weighing at least twenty five pounds;
* working knowledge and experience with the Child Care Licensing system preferred Registration or Licensure Requirements:
None. Initial Selection Criteria:
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in data processing, computer science, business, or closely related field with four or more year experience in systems analysis, program design, and/or administration work using JAVA, EJB, and JSP. Relevant information technology work experience may be substituted on a year for year basis for education. Additional Information:
Note: Military occupation(s) that relate to the initial selection criteria and registration or licensure requirements for this position may include, but not limited to: 25B, IT, 275, 0171, 3D0X2. All active duty military, reservists, guardsmen, and veterans are encouraged to apply if qualified to fill this position. For more information see the Texas State Auditor's Military Crosswalk at http://www.hr.sao.state.tx.us/Compensation/JobDescriptions.aspx MOS Code:
25B, IT, 275, 0171, 3D0X2
HHS agencies use E-Verify. You must bring your I-9 documentation with you on your first day of work.
I-9 Form - Click here to download the I-9 form.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), HHS agencies will provide reasonable accommodation during the hiring and selection process for qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance completing the on-line application, contact the HHS Employee Service Center at 1-888-894-4747. If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodation to participate in the interview process, please notify the person scheduling the interview.