The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) is currently seeking a Data Developer for a full-time position within the IT Operations team. The Data Developer reports to the Data and Tools Team Manager within the Information Resource Management (IT Division) program. This position performs complex (entry-level) data systems analysis; data development; and on-going support of applications used by DFPS staff. Work involves data fixes; extract, transform and load (ETL); data warehouse development; data administration; and coordinating the planning and analysis of user requirements, procedures, and problems to automate processing or improve existing systems.
As a Data Developer on the Data and Tools Team, the position requires strong knowledge of ETL, Oracle, PL/SQL and SQL. The position requires an ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, and the ability to manage projects against established timelines with minimal supervision. This position also requires the ability to learn and apply new technology, work independently or in a team environment, and collaborate with all levels of staff within DFPS to satisfy business needs.
The mission of DFPS is to protect children, the elderly, and people with disabilities from abuse, neglect, and exploitation by involving clients, families, and communities. We are looking to grow our teams with people who share our energy and enthusiasm to get behind our mission of protecting those among us who are most in need.
This position is classified as a full-time position (40 hours a week). Work outside of regular hours may be required; some weekend on-call duty may be required. Works under general supervision, with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
This position is a full-time position that includes other State of Texas benefits as described in this SAO site: http://www.sao.texas.gov/SAOReports/ReportNumber?id=18-704
Essential Job Functions:
* Processes data-fix requests, submitted by the Program Support Analysts, in a timely manner.
* Follows work unit's data-fix policies and procedures to ensure consistency and reduce any potential for errors.
* Fully tests all data fixes in a lower environment before executing in production.
* Ensures that new templates are peer reviewed before executing in production.
* Document steps taken to complete data fixes and update status of data fix requests as required.
* Design, code, and modify extract, transform, and load (ETL) logic to populate DFPS data warehouse and data marts in order to support DFPS reporting.
* Assist in the development and maintenance of documentation and ensure that the content of documentation is well organized, complete, and appropriate to the audience.
* Ensure project schedules are met, and/or re-negotiated, and approved by customer and Team Manager prior to target dates.
* Communicate progress and issues affecting work assignments to the Team Manager and/or Project Manager as soon as possible.
* Follows established Data Team code migration processes.
* Support application development team needs for new database structures and/or modifications to existing structures.
* Review database change requests to ensure they meet standards and are consistent with the structural parameters within the existing database environment.
* Ensure all database change requests are tracked electronically according to their release.
* Provide Database Administrator (DBA) support by verifying database structure changes have been applied correctly.
* Consult the Data Dictionary for any dependencies and additional information that the data admin request may require.
* Review 'explain plans' for new or modified queries for performance and suggest alternative ways to resolve any performance issues.
* Monitor ETL progress and provides status updates on a regular basis (morning and evening updates) for longer running ETL's.
* Provide on-call support on a monthly rotation schedule.
* Gain and maintain technical-functional proficiency in all aspects of the assigned division information systems and stays current on the latest technology updates and development techniques for the applicable area(s) of responsibility. (May be accomplished via books, periodicals, Internet, conferences, and training).
* Performs other duties as assigned and required to maintain unit operations.
Knowledge Skills Abilities:
* Knowledge and at least 1 year of experience with Oracle databases with some of that experience being Oracle version 12c.
* Knowledge of Oracle SQL version 12c and/or PL-SQL version 12c.
* Knowledge of database object migration/validation tools required.
* Knowledge and understanding of ETL development, monitoring, batch or data processing in an automated scheduled environment is required.
* Skill in understanding and implementing database change requests is desired.
* Skill with Microsoft Office tools, particularly with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, and SharePoint.
* Ability to perform data fixes to new and existing systems is required.
* Ability to document issues, risks, and defects is required.
* Ability to read, interpret, and understand JAVA is desired but not required.
* Ability to communicate effectively in a technical environment, including on-the-job training with coworkers, project team members, and IT management is required.
* Knowledge and experience with the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and project plan understanding is required.
* Skill in interpersonal relationships, including the ability to work with people under pressure, negotiate among multiple parties, resolve conflicts, and establish and maintain effective working relationships with various level personnel in governmental entities.
* Ability to lead and work cooperatively in a team environment.
Registration or Licensure Requirements:
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in information technology, business, computer information systems, management information systems, or a related field. Work experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis. Initial Selection Criteria:
* Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in information technology, business, computer information systems, management information systems, or a related field. Work experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis.
* At least one (1) year full-time ETL development and data warehouse monitoring.
* At least one (1) year of experience programming using Oracle, SQL, PL-SQL, systems analysis, systems design, other relevant information technology experience.
Note: You must meet the minimum initial screening criteria to be considered. You should not apply if your submittal documents do not clearly reflect experience meeting the initial screening criteria.
Req #417964 MOS Code:
Note: Military occupation(s) that relate to the initial selection criteria and registration or licensure requirements for this position may include, but not limited to: 25B, IT, 275. All active duty military, reservists, guardsmen, and veterans are encouraged to apply if qualified to fill this position. For more information see the Texas State Auditor's Military Crosswalk at http://www.hr.sao.state.tx.us/Compensation/JobDescriptions.aspx.
HHS agencies use E-Verify. You must bring your I-9 documentation with you on your first day of work.
I-9 Form - Click here to download the I-9 form.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), HHS agencies will provide reasonable accommodation during the hiring and selection process for qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance completing the on-line application, contact the HHS Employee Service Center at 1-888-894-4747. If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodation to participate in the interview process, please notify the person scheduling the interview.