We're hiring engineers to elevate Glossier as an inviting, fun way to buy beauty products. You'll join a team focused on building a delightful e-commerce and in-store experience and fostering the most welcoming community to discuss skin care and makeup.
At Glossier, we work in product teams that ship features to production early, then iterate based on internal and customer feedback. We pay attention to performance, write tests for our code, and care about design. We are also mindful of building an inclusive culture, where decisions are made transparently and we support each other's learning and growth.
We've built our own point-of-sale application for iOS, and it's relied upon to power our NYC, LA and pop-up stores. It processes millions of dollars in transactions, and we have an exciting roadmap of improvements for the application to improve the experience for staff and customers in stores. Glossier is also working on a to-be-announced application, and we're looking for engineers who are interested in shaping the direction of a greenfield product.
Our Technology Stack
* Swift for our point-of-sale application and future projects
* GraphQL for our API
* React, Redux, Webpack, and Apollo on the frontend
* Ruby on Rails for the backend
* AWS to host our infrastructure
* Postgres, Redis, and Redshift
In this role, during your first month you'll:
* Connect with an onboarding buddy, who'll help you settle in by introducing you to team members throughout Glossier.
* Learn about Glossier's engineering principles through pairing sessions with developers.
* Work within a product team to ship a well-tested feature or enhancement to production. We love using feature flags to control how changes are rolled out.
During your first three months you'll:
* Deploy frequent improvements, and maybe break something! We have a blameless post-mortem process so that when things go wrong, we can make our systems and processes more resilient.
* Set personal development goals with your manager, using our publicly available Engineering ladder as a guide. We have tracks for Individual Contributors and Managers, so you can grow in your career no matter where your interests lie.
During your first year you'll:
* Be a flag-bearer of our diverse and inclusive culture.
* Make meaningful additions to a variety of projects of increasing complexity.
* Contribute to an RFC (Request for Comments) proposal (or create your own) that improves our team's culture, processes, or architecture.
* Give a tech talk. We hold internal talks every two weeks - it's an opportunity for team members to show their work and present on topics relating to our practice.
* Write a blog post on Into The Tech, our Technology team's blog.
* Have a reputation for being inclusive, innovative, clever, fun, and thoughtful. :)
* Are motivated by working in a fast-growing, dynamic, and iterative environment.
About your application and the interview process:
Glossier is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
If you're unsure about your qualifications for this position, we still encourage you to apply. We're looking for engineers who have experience, but know that not everyone's had a chance to work with the technologies in our stack. What's most important is that you have a growth mindset, and know how to reliably ship software.
Our interview process typically involves a phone screen with an internal recruiter, followed by an exploratory conversation with our VP of Engineering. After that, we'll invite you to our offices for an on-site interview on a range of technical and interpersonal topics. One of our interviews involves pair programming - we want to see what it's like to work with you on problems you might encounter in the real world. We know that live coding can be stressful at times, and will do our best to craft a friendly and collaborative experience.
Glossier is a beauty company that lives in NYC, is sold on the internet, and promotes a skincare-first philosophy that celebrates beauty in real life.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity ("EEO") Employer. It has been and will continue to be a fundamental policy of Glossier not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, marital status, partnership status, domestic violence victim status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, veteran or military status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, caregiver status, unemployment status or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state and/or local laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotion, demotion, compensation, training, working conditions, transfer, job assignment, benefits, layoff, and termination.