Intern, Data Engineer
(Contract - Paid, Full-time)
The AMA is a unifying voice and powerful ally for America's physicians, the patients they care for, and the promise of a healthier nation. To be part of the AMA is to be part of our Mission to promote the art and science of medicine and the betterment of public health. Join the AMA team as the Intern, Data Engineer in Health Solutions. As part of the team, you will support the expansion of the Health Solutions Data Science function through the analysis of existing AMA data assets as well as potential data acquisitions opportunities that would provide benefit to the AMA. You will conduct analyses to enhance the collection, enrichment, and management of AMA's data, to optimize current usage and enable new business uses of these data assets. You will develop consistent and timely analysis of metrics and key performance indicators, scorecards and trending reports that lead to informed business decisions and reflect the true state of AMA data assets. You will assist in the implementation of the long-range AMA Physician Masterfile strategy and the overall data management process modernization effort. You will assist in development of innovative Data Science approaches to enhance analytical capabilities of the Health Solutions Group.
Other Responsibilities will include:
* Support the Data Management group and overall Health Solutions team through insightful data analysis and the development of analytical reporting, including subject areas of data collection, data quality, business rule adherence, and optimal choice of data fitness. Tailor analytical/reporting output to be digestible given the audience through usage of visualization and dashboards. Utilize technical acumen to automate reports over time and eliminate unnecessary manual processes.
* Support the overall effort to modernize and enhance AMA data management architecture. Assist in development and testing of innovative analytical approaches, including but not limited to Big Data, A.I., machine learning, text analytics, and Natural Language Processing (NLP). Assist in vendor integration, data management work flow evaluation and optimization, vendor service level adherence monitoring activities, and requirements gathering around internal data management processes as effort moves forward.
* Respond to data analysis needs and help deliver data analysis projects through the appropriate choice of front-end error detection and correction, process control and improvement, or process design strategies. Develop testing and processes to ensure data integrity and accuracy of the data, as well as proof of concept matching exercise to vet external data sources and gauge benefit. Follow all processes and procedures and provide documentation on all work.
* Support the ongoing effort to master AMA data assets through the implementation of an enterprise wide physician Masterfile strategy, work closely with technology partners to leverage technology tools to the utmost and understand internal data flow and ETL activities between current AMA systems and future platforms.
Perform other tasks and projects as assigned.
* Working towards a BS or MS degree in Data Science, Statistics, Analytics, Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related degree.
* Basic analysis skills; familiar with data analysis tools and techniques, such as SAS, R, Python, SPSS, text analytics, NLP; Able to manage and integrate insights and establish monitoring around multiple internal data sources, such as AMA Masterfile, Enterprise Data Warehouse, customer database and purchased/appended data if available.
* Ingestion, standardization, metadata management, business rule curation, data enhancement, and statistical computation against data sources that include relational, XML, JSON, streaming, REST API, and unstructured data.
* Understanding of orchestration and scheduling tooling such as Jenkins/Airflow/Rundeck.
* Experience and interest in presenting analytic findings to business customers. Familiar with reporting and visualization tools, such as Tableau, Power BI, Business Objects, etc.
* Familiar with SQL in the extraction and manipulation of datasets. General knowledge of transactional data processing, ETL, data warehouse, data mart, and operational reporting solutions a plus. Any experience with the following tools is desirable: Aqua Data Studio, IBM DataStage / QualityStage, Information Analyzer, Informatica Business Glossary and Powercenter.
* Any experience with or basic understanding of newer database structures and models such as NoSQL, Hadoop, Marklogic and Cassandra, a plus. Programming skills in Python, Java highly desirable.
* Experience and interest in deeper analysis of data subjects, potentially spanning over a timeline of several months.
* Experience with various batch matching methodologies. Willingness to learn and work with disparate data sets of varying structures and quality and interested in creating ad hoc methodologies to facilitate matching on these data sets, often without the benefit of common keys.
* Any knowledge/interest in implementing data management systems, ETL development, or master data management solutions is highly desirable.
What Puts You Over The Top
* Some practical experience working on AWS or another cloud provider
* Good working knowledge of SQL and experience with columnar datastores
* You are working on your Masters degree
Our office is a business casual environment and we respect work-life balance. The American Medical Association is located at 330 N. Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 and is convenient to all public transportation in Chicago.
We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity in our workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. As an EOE/AA employer, the American Medical Association will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and veteran or disability status.
THE AMA IS COMMITTED TO IMPROVING THE HEALTH OF THE NATION