What you'll be doing...
The Interconnect Engineer will be responsible for providing complete technical oversight and project management for transport network expansion projects with an emphasis on One Fiber Project Management. These projects focus on the expansion of the Build Plan, EBH, dark fiber, and the One Fiber Program supporting Illinois and Wisconsin. The candidate will be responsible for project managing the Illinois and Wisconsin Build plan successfully to meet business objectives.
* Provide technical support and project management for the design, acquisition, and implementation for all equipment supporting Network infrastructure projects including, but not limited to DWDM and SONET Optical transport systems deployed throughout the VZW Network
* Tasked with the development of an engineering database for documentation of all fiber assets; plant, FDP panels, and IRU contract management.
* Complete Vendor Management responsibility including selection, contract negotiation, RFP and ongoing relationships.
* Financial responsibility on capital and expense projects - establishing business cases, developing and managing budgets, procurement and bill payments.
* Decision making authority with respect to all of the above duties. It also interfaces constantly with higher levels of the management team across various organizations as part of the process of managing all facets of large, complex infrastructure deployments.
* The position regularly works with Network planning on strategic initiatives, to develop future technology solutions, and features and growth jobs on existing products that support our infrastructure.
* The position regularly works with other group's forecasts to ensure equipment growth projects meet expectant demands in support of the company's objectives.
* Vendor Management responsibility including engineering/design, managing budgets, procurement, and complete project management ensuring objectives are met in accordance with stated timelines.
* Knowledge and proficiency in one or more of the following platforms and/or technologies:
* DWDM Optical Transport systems including: Fujitsu 9500/CDS
* ALU/Nokia 7705, 7750. & SR-a8 routers
* Digital Communications including: Fiber, Ethernet
* Wireless voice and data service including: EVDO, CDMA, LTE
What we're looking for...
You'll need to have:
* Associate's degree or two or more years of work experience.
* Three or more years of relevant work experience.
Even better if you have:
* A degree in Engineering.
* Five or more years of experience in the cellular/telecommunications industry in a Transport engineering role.
* Project Management Experience.
* Knowledge and experience in CWDM/DWDM Optical Transport systems including: Fujitsu.
* Knowledge with Dark Fiber vendors, their organizational processes and standards, as well as their network portfolio maps.
* Knowledge and experience with Granite circuit database.
* Experience in office computer applications: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Microsoft Project.
* Executive level troubleshooting, problem solving, project management, and interpersonal skills.
* Decision making skills (by making appropriate use of all available information and data; anticipating the future and preparing accordingly; recognizing the impact of decisions upon the rest of the organization; receiving broad guidance; being accountable for broad project results; and being responsible for the leadership of broad programs in support of organizational or area strategies).
* Superior organizational and planning skills (setting and communicating priorities; anticipating workload impact on resources of both self and team; delegating where appropriate; consistently following up on outstanding items; and providing focus in meetings and discussions).
* Ability to learn new technology quickly and apply working knowledge of wireless engineering on new projects.
* Self-motivated, show initiative, and abilityto work independently.
* Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
* Highly productive and pay close attention to detail.
* Knowledge with engineering and engineering economic principles
When you join Verizon...
You'll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America's fastest and most reliable network, we're leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we're about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences,including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Verizon Communications is a broadband and telecommunications company operating 4G LTE network, 3G network, and information services.