At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Job Description Abstract
The Office of the CTO (OCTO) has established an initiative to drive innovation across the company. This initiative will take many forms with one of them being to tackle the hardest technical challenges of potentially disruptive technology and determine if they are surmountable, viable, and profitable. Innovation Data Scientists will be expected to work with engineers and product analysts on the core Innovation team to establish the most effective method to deploy and capitalize on forward looking technologies. They must be able to adapt models for an uncertain future and make compelling cases for, or against, the use of emerging technologies that will help Uber solve the biggest challenges that it faces.
We are looking for Data Scientists at the senior level.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team Team Structure
The candidate reports to Fran Bell and will be embedded with the OCTO Innovation team. There will be a dotted management line to Doug Bemis.
Requirements for the Role
The role requires:
* Excellent technical skills including:
* A master's degree or equivalent in applied statistics, computer science or a quantitative domain
* Ability to retrieve, process, and manipulate large data sources in an efficient and effective manner.
* Ability to produce algorithms, models, and analysis necessary to evaluate the viability and best path forward for innovative solutions.
* Experience with a wide variety of machine learning techniques
* Strong experimental design experience and ability
* Strong programming experience:
* experience with data science technologies like Hadoop, Hive, and SQL (Postgres, HiveQL, Vertica SQL)
* demonstrable proficiency in Python or R.
* Great communication skills; able to interface between multiple teams across the company, as well as executives, to explain complex ideas in a simple and understandable manner.
* the ability to create structure from ambiguity,
* an ability to connect the deep domain expertise of the researcher with the pragmatism and scrappiness of the entrepreneur - you're a true generalist.
What Constitutes Success In The Role?
To be successful in this role, the candidate must:
* Develop vague problem / technology combinations into maximally effective deployment plans
* Rapidly iterate models and approaches to maximize opportunities presented by interfacing emerging technologies with Uber's largest problems.
* Be able to acquire and process the necessary data from Uber's data stores
Uber provides a mobile application connecting passengers with drivers for hire.