Infrastructure Software Engineer
New York, NY
Infrastructure software is ever-evolving. This trend is going to speed up as the software industry simultaneously adopts new technologies (e.g. Machine Learning), new patterns (e.g. data-stream-based computing), and new hardware (e.g. Non-Volatile Memory). Abilities to build prototype software quickly to validate the usefulness of emerging trends and converting the most promising ones into production-ready systems, will be crucial for any infrastructure organization to stay competitive in this highly volatile environment.
The potential impact of assessing, prototyping, and properly building new systems includes:
Enabling features and providing SLOs that were previously impossible, which can translate into competitive advantages for the product and business;
Multi-million dollars of savings in CAPEX & OPEX with improved resource utilization;
Increased developer productivity due to improved performance and features.
The engineer is responsible for:
* Following and evaluating industry trends on foundational technologies, identifying opportunities that are relevant for Twitter
* Creating tests and building prototype systems to assess the size of the opportunities, gathering and explaining use cases to the rest of the organization and company
* Collaborating with other teams and creating solutions that will be operationally reliable and sustainable, developing and executing a plan to put systems into production.
* Deep knowledge of operating systems, computer networking, and distributed systems at scale, preferably demonstrable by advanced academic degrees, notable past projects, publications, or strong references
* Abilities to develop infrastructure prototype quickly, and if warranted, apply rigor in refactoring or rewriting systems for production purposes
* Experience with experiment design, data collection, and data analysis
* Excellent communication skills to describe the findings/insights and propose solutions
* Experiences with systems that are demanding on performance are strongly recommended.
* BS degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent experience.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
Twitter is a company that provides a social networking platform.