Help Duties Summary
The U.S. Department of the Treasury has a distinguished history dating back to the founding of our nation. As the steward of U.S. economic and financial systems, Treasury is a major and influential leader in today's global economy. We have over 100,000 employees across the country and around the world. Come Join the Department of the Treasury and Invest in Tomorrow.
WHAT DOES AN IT SPECIALIST (Network Services) DO? As an Information Technology Specialist (Network Services) you will be involved in the implementation, evaluation, and/or dissemination of IRS IT network components, tools, and procedures. In this position you will come across complex issues in the planning, analysis, design development, testing, quality assurance, installation, implementation, maintenance, and/or management of networked systems used for the transmission of information in voice, data, and/or video formats. The solutions of problems and issues have application outside the organization, and are adaptable to many customers or IRS sites.
WHAT IS THE IRS INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY DIVISION?
The mission of IRS Information Technology is to provide leadership in the delivery of information technology solutions that anticipate and meet enterprise-wide needs by empowering employees to deliver customer-centered, value-creating systems, products, services, and support.
This is a roster announcement that will be used to fill positions throughout the next 12 months. We are projecting 40 vacancies may be filled during the life of this roster. Contingent upon funding and space requirements, one or more vacancies may be filled in the individual PODs listed below as they become available in that location during the life of this roster. The first cutoff for this announcement is 07/12/2018. Additional cutoffs may be added as the hiring need arises.
Positions are located in Information Technology (IT). This announcement will be used to fill positions IT-Wide. Forty (40) vacancies to be filled in any of the following locations; Lanham-Seabrook MD, Washington DC, Austin TX, Farmers Branch TX, Detroit MI, Ogden UT, Kearneysville WV, Memphis TN, Kansas City MO, Atlanta GA, Fresno CA, Holtsville NY, Philadelphia PA, Covington KY, Chamblee GA, Charlotte NC.
Learn more about this agency
* Lead the local implementation of national projects to provide network services that support business requirements.
* Plan, design, develop, and integrate network systems consistent with existing or planned network infrastructures.
* Lead projects to develop requirements for the acquisition of network hardware, software, and services.
* Serve as a network administrator on a large local system, including responsibility for: configuring hubs, switches, and routers; monitoring network performance and performing network diagnostics.
* Analyze network traffic patterns and install network software fixes and upgrades.
* Develop and implement configuration management plans on a significant local project for complex LANs and WANs.Create network maps, and troubleshoot network problems (e.g., outages).
* Design connectivity between remote sites on a significant local project.
If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Occasional travel - Travel 1-5 nights per month may be required
Who May Apply This job is open to… US Citizens and Nationals; no prior Federal experience is required.
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
* Job family (Series)
2210 Information Technology Management
* Administrators, Network
* Computer And Information Systems Managers
* Computer Systems Managers
* Information Systems Managers
* Information Technology Project Managers
* Information Technology Specialist (It Specialist)
Help Requirements Conditions of Employment
* Please refer to "Conditions of Employment."
* Click "Print Preview" to review the entire announcement before applying.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
GS-14 LEVEL: Grade 14 You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service. This experience must include Information Technology (IT) related experience that demonstrates each of the following four competencies: 1) Attention to Detail, 2) Customer Service, 3) Oral Communication and 4) Problem Solving. Specialized experience for this position includes: Experience that demonstrates accomplishment of computer project assignments that required a wide range of knowledge of computer requirements and techniques pertinent to the position to be filled. This knowledge is generally demonstrated through assignments that required the ability to analyze a number of alternative approaches in the process of advising management concerning major aspects of IT system design. This would include defining what system interrelationships must be considered, or what operating mode, system software, and/or equipment configuration is most appropriate for a given project. In addition to above: At this level you must have experience serving as a local area network (LAN) manager with agency-wide LAN systems; Identifying and controlling all LAN hardware and software configuration; Developing technical standards and procedures for LAN development, implementation, and management; Establishing performance management metrics; Evaluating overall LAN performance against relevant standards; and Providing technical advice and consultation to LAN administrators throughout the agency.
* The experience may have been gained in the public sector,private sector or VolunteerService.One year of experience refers to full-timework; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis.
* To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.