Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute brings together world renowned clinicians, innovative researchers and dedicated professionals, allies in the common mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow's physician/researchers; we reach out to underserved members of our community; and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
Within the Computational Solutions team under the Chief Health Information Office, the Software Engineer, Full Stack Development will serve the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (DFCI) and its patients by designing and implementing informatics solutions to address the needs of research faculty and Institute-wide programs.
The successful candidate will contribute to the design and development of front-end and back-end components of research focused data analysis and visualization applications supporting the Institute's goal of improving cancer care and patient outcomes. The role requires a solid technical background with hands-on experience. We follow an Agile development model, and there is the opportunity to work as a Scrum Master as an additional responsibility.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Work as part of a research focused engineering team to design, implement and operate research focused data visualization and analysis applications
* Collaborate closely with product managers and other stakeholders to understand and refine user requirements
* Provide effort estimates and development timeline for proposed features
* Implement front-end and back-end requirements
* Re-engineer and rewrite existing application with modern technology stacks such as Angular and Spring Boot Microservices.
* Contribute to all phases of the software development lifecycle with equal emphasis on unit testing
* Participates in the quality assurance process through code reviews and new feature testing as needed
* Provide continuous integration and delivery with peer code review
* Modify existing software to correct errors, allow it to adapt to new hardware, or to improve its performance
* Maintain expertise on current advances in computational technology and practice
* Contribute to establishing Informatics as a center of excellence for software engineering best practices across DFCI
* This position does not involve supervisory responsibilities.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
* 2+ years of experience within an agile software development environment required; experience in a healthcare or clinical research environment highly preferred
* Bachelor's degree Computer Science, Software Engineering or related field required
* Experience in genomic-related software development is a plus; experience with HIPAA- and/or IRB-regulated data is a plus
ADDITIONAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
* Proficiency in Spring Boot a plus
* Proficiency in Angular a plus
* Understanding of Architectural patterns a plus
* Mid-level knowledge of Maven a plus
* Practitioner of BDD/TDD with strong knowledge of Unit Testing and Test Automation frameworks
* Experience with Microservice Architecture is a plus
* Experience with containerization and orchestration platforms is a plus
* Experience with cloud platforms is a plus
* Hands-on experience using technology to support agile software development processes
* Ability to contribute to the implementation of multiple, concurrent projects in a fast-paced scientific and multidisciplinary environment.
* Ability to handle a variety of tasks, effectively solve problems with numerous and complex variables, and be able to shift priorities flexibly
* Ability to communicate technical topics to technical and non-technical audiences.
* Ability to motivate and inspire others in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
* Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills; excellent verbal and written communications skills
* Ability to work in a very complex organizational structure, with diplomacy, patience and respect
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.